jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Re: Advice For Newer Enthusiasts?

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Cynicade wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am
My interest in sirens was sparked in early 2018, and I've since tried muddling through the internet for more information on this object of fascination, which is, as I'd expect users of this forum board to be familiar with, a very unusual fascination to have. It's been two years and I'm not necessarily starting from the ground up in terms of knowledge, I'd still consider myself quite a novice to this community. Frankly, the information on sirens is broad, not very easy to find, and pretty intimidating for someone at entry level.

So, hello, my name is Fiona. I live in southern Louisiana. I'm studying mechanical engineering. I REALLY like tornadoes and out door warning sirens. And I want advice on how to find reliable information on this massive and seemingly kind of underground interest.

p.s. how in the world do you people find tornado sirens? do you drive around and just look at roof tops and poles? do you sneak around on Google street view? I found out only from this forum that I've been driving past an inactive Model ...5? all the time when I went to BRCC, but never noticed it because I was driving, and it looks like something that's just part of the roof! I would have never known it was there if I hadn't learned it from someone else.
I'd recommend driving through smaller towns on siren hunts you never know what you might find, even if they have a newer siren that is un mapped. For example I found an uncommon Sterling 2V8 on an old fire shack in sparta missouri, or 2 model 2s across from each other in hume (it was on street view for the last one)
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Bump. My interest in siren started during 2017. There are two inactive sirens near my current town. Here is a list.
Thunderbolt 1000 in Menifee, AR,
and a possibly inactive Sterling M-10 (and Whelen Vortex) in Plummerville, AR.
All I want to know are some tips for obtaining a siren and taking good care of it.
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

OnlineRecords0
Discord: OnlineRecords0

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:20 pm

If you want to have a personal siren, I would suggest the model 2. They fit in small spaces and they aren’t 500lbs. If you want something you know works, get a brand new DSA2. They come brand new for $1.4k. (2 speakers)
•OnlineRecords0
occasionally around, who even knows.
8-)

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 pm

ObritSeven wrote:
If you want to have a personal siren, I would suggest the model 2. They fit in small spaces and they aren’t 500lbs. If you want something you know works, get a brand new DSA2. They come brand new for $1.4k. (2 speakers)
It's near impossible to get your hands on a model 2 for a decent price for some reason.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

OnlineRecords0
Discord: OnlineRecords0

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:50 pm

Zarlog wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 pm
ObritSeven wrote:
It's near impossible to get your hands on a model 2 for a decent price for some reason.
That’s very true. I’m not sure why though.
•OnlineRecords0
occasionally around, who even knows.
8-)

IHaveAName
YouTube Username: Nthuziast
Discord: Greater Miami Railway Cor#9640

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Cynicade wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am
My interest in sirens was sparked in early 2018, and I've since tried muddling through the internet for more information on this object of fascination, which is, as I'd expect users of this forum board to be familiar with, a very unusual fascination to have. It's been two years and I'm not necessarily starting from the ground up in terms of knowledge, I'd still consider myself quite a novice to this community. Frankly, the information on sirens is broad, not very easy to find, and pretty intimidating for someone at entry level.

So, hello, my name is Fiona. I live in southern Louisiana. I'm studying mechanical engineering. I REALLY like tornadoes and out door warning sirens. And I want advice on how to find reliable information on this massive and seemingly kind of underground interest.

p.s. how in the world do you people find tornado sirens? do you drive around and just look at roof tops and poles? do you sneak around on Google street view? I found out only from this forum that I've been driving past an inactive Model ...5? all the time when I went to BRCC, but never noticed it because I was driving, and it looks like something that's just part of the roof! I would have never known it was there if I hadn't learned it from someone else.
Hi, Fiona,
I too can be classified as a "newbie" to the ARS community.

The first thing you should know about warning sirens is the manufacturers, models produced and what tones the sirens can output.

After you figure that out, you can look on siren maps or even attempt to map sirens. You should be familiar with the previous 3 things I mentioned earlier before you begin mapping though.

Most of the times, mapping is relatively easy to do. Most counties and communities list their siren locations on their official website. If you check and they do not specify that they own sirens or if they don't provide information, you can message or upload a post onto ARS asking if a town or community has a siren or a siren system.

The 3 main locations for sirens in towns are City halls, Police and Fire departments. This is likely so that when a signal is sent out, the delay won't be long, or, of course, just install the control panels inside the building.

Lastly, you can always record warning sirens when they're being tested or being used for an actual emergency such as a fire or a severe storm.

I hope this article helped you and possibly other newer enthusiasts out, and welcome to the community!
guitarist for my band R3VØLUȻION (pop rock)
huge green day and mcr fan
take a look at my wig wag map https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/view? ... 000001&z=2

pyramid head

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:42 am

When it comes to collecting them there are a few snags. Many sirens are ran by 3 phase motors, without proper power supply they could end up being unintentional lawn art. When you get over the 2 hp rating into the big units they tend to get heavy (250 lbs up to 1000) another hurtle even if you have a useable single phase unit could be upsetting less than understanding neighbors or worse. Most of the time when I am looking for a new one I browse auction sites or drive around to fire stations/ towns and start searching roof tops, utility poles, water towers and municipal structures.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

JTW
New User

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:13 pm

Hello! I am also new to the community. My interest in sirens has been since I was about 7 years old, but it has really gotten more intense in the past few years. I am from Western Kentucky and I am 20 years old studying Earth and Environmental Sciences in college.

I am looking to start collecting outdoor warning sirens soon and I am wondering if there are people who can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks and have a great day!!!

SuperBanshee836335

Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:31 pm

I have some advice for getting sirens:

1: Look for abandoned, broken, or inactive sirens (best places are city halls and fire departments; ask them how long it has been inactive for, then ask them if you can get it once they have removed the siren).

2: Ask fire departments/city halls if they once had a siren that is now in storage, and same as said before, ask them if you can have it.
A young enthusiast in the Grant County,WA area. Older Federals are VERY abundant here.

Soon-to-be proud owner of a Federal Model 5 and/or Model 2.

OHIO Desperado

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:59 am

SuperBanshee836335 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:31 pm
I have some advice for getting sirens:

1: Look for abandoned, broken, or inactive sirens (best places are city halls and fire departments; ask them how long it has been inactive for, then ask them if you can get it once they have removed the siren).

2: Ask fire departments/city halls if they once had a siren that is now in storage, and same as said before, ask them if you can have it.

You were on the right track until you said 'ask then if you can have it"
DO NOT ASK FOR FREE SIRENS... Offer them money for it, and they MAY just give it to you, but always make a REASONABLE cash offer.
Asking for free crap is frankly insulting to whoever you are speaking to.
And be in a position to make the purchase when you make the offer.

As far as what to offer. Somewhere between 200 and 500 dollars is a fair number for most abandoned sirens. And it's a number that will get their attention typically.
Now what may happen is the siren will be put on gov deals at that point and you will need to bid on it. And that is gonna be what ever price it brings.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”