nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: What is the worst siren you have heard?

Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:30 pm

Rivian_Kid wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:11 pm
After reading your reply's, I've had an idea for a post. What is the oldest siren still active? I will leave someone else to do it as I'm kinda lazy lol
The Model 2 has been in production for about 100 years, so it's more than likely that one of those is the oldest. Early Sterling M-10s are about 100 years old as well.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:38 pm

Federal Electric Type Bs are also incredibly old, but I think Sterling might predate those by a few years. Sterling had another siren model that predated the Model M, called the Sterling Siren Fire Alarm, but I don't think any of those are active anymore. Denver sirens are also ancient.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

Metrolink_YT

Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:51 pm

Snowpix wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:36 am
Metrolink_YT wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:43 am
What is the point of ATI's?
...To warn people? Yeah, they're not exactly great at doing their job but the entire point of an ATI is to warn or notify people, just like any other siren. They're cheap, which is why cities buy them.
What I meant was who in the siren community even cares for ATI's. They are like the worst sounding siren in my opinion.
Your local Missouri Siren Hunter and Railfan.
Feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability.
Profile is one of Warsaw's STH-10s.

Snowpix

Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm

Metrolink_YT wrote:
Snowpix wrote:
Metrolink_YT wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:43 am
What is the point of ATI's?
...To warn people? Yeah, they're not exactly great at doing their job but the entire point of an ATI is to warn or notify people, just like any other siren. They're cheap, which is why cities buy them.
What I meant was who in the siren community even cares for ATI's. They are like the worst sounding siren in my opinion.
That's an entirely different question to the question you asked before. But to answer your second question, I don't think many people in the community care for them, they're not reliable and their performance is lacking. However, cities don't care what enthusiasts think, they'll go for whatever they think is cheapest, or listen to whatever BS the company spoonfeeds them.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.

Metrolink_YT

Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:32 am

Snowpix wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm
Metrolink_YT wrote:
Snowpix wrote:

That's an entirely different question to the question you asked before. But to answer your second question, I don't think many people in the community care for them, they're not reliable and their performance is lacking. However, cities don't care what enthusiasts think, they'll go for whatever they think is cheapest, or listen to whatever BS the company spoonfeeds them.
It's a good thing the cities I've been to have Federal Signal, ASC, and Whelen. (Though I despise Whelen)

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:59 am

Metrolink_YT wrote:
It's a good thing the cities I've been to have Federal Signal, ASC, and Whelen. (Though I despise Whelen)
Why. Why do you hate Whelen? Whelen makes the best electronic sirens on the market. The ones in my town carry miles and they have broken drivers... they've been serving for over 20 years. They still work and have had little to no maintenance. One day, I was in Dublin, MD, and the Whelen 2902 in Conowingo, MD could be heard clearly running wail from there. That's over 8 miles away, and it was raining. Whelen makes pretty good sirens...
Seems like you've been watching too much TSM :lol:
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Metrolink_YT

Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:05 pm

championsiren wrote:
Metrolink_YT wrote:
Why. Why do you hate Whelen? Whelen makes the best electronic sirens on the market. The ones in my town carry miles and they have broken drivers... they've been serving for over 20 years. They still work and have had little to no maintenance. One day, I was in Dublin, MD, and the Whelen 2902 in Conowingo, MD could be heard clearly running wail from there. That's over 8 miles away, and it was raining. Whelen makes pretty good sirens...
The either 4004 or vortex in Tipton,MO, either broke its wires (Joke) or the rotator is broken, or it is coded to not rotate. It has been in the same position for many years now. I mostly prefer Mechanical sirens and they just make electronic sirens. I will admit that I watch a lot of TSM and Random Siren Shorts. Thanks BSP.

Vintagecollections
YouTube Username: VintageCollections
Discord: VintageCollections#3197

Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:07 pm

Dying ASC I-Force trying to do Hi-Lo, which died within a few seconds. Located at EMU In Ypsilanti, Michigan
-Joseph

Proud Owner of an 8 Port GDC Type 7, 1965 FS&S Model 2, MARS Vehicular Siren, a Crusty Federal Enterprises Model A, Part of an Ex. Plymouth, MI Thunderbolt 1000B, Mini 8 Port Fedelcode Type 7, 1974 AR Timer, & Over 400 Antique Fans!

Metrolink_YT

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:03 pm

You got to hate dying sirens.

Snowpix

Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:45 pm

Metrolink_YT wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:05 pm
championsiren wrote:
Metrolink_YT wrote:
I will admit that I watch a lot of TSM and Random Siren Shorts. Thanks BSP.
Explains a lot. Whelens are very reliable and effective sirens and there are still many ~40 year old Whelens, both omni and rotational, that still running alongside their newer sirens. Just because their sirens are electronic doesn't make them any less great as sirens. I really wouldn't want to be taking influence from BSP, with how utterly cringy and kiddie-ridden those videos tend to be, at least in my opinion...

Back on topic, I saw a video of a Model 2 with major fluctuation issues, likely with the brushes. It sounded worse than that Thunderbolt which sounded like a dying cow.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”