29 ALF

Re: Markleysburg, PA

Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:01 am

Looking at the base of the siren in Newell, I can't say for certain, but it looks like it has the Sterling base. I might be seeing things though. That's usually the best way to tell.
See the following (credit to owner of the video): Exhibit 1
I believe the small fitting for the motor is a good case; perhaps these were early models of the L.G.?

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:12 pm

That's true... but wouldn't you think they'd be a little more local? Like, some would be in NY where they were made?
For all we know, these could be Secomak GP3s that were modified by a local company...
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

29 ALF

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:53 pm

championsiren wrote:
That's true... but wouldn't you think they'd be a little more local? Like, some would be in NY where they were made?
For all we know, these could be Secomak GP3s that were modified by a local company...
That's certainly a possibility, as Pennsylvania even has a modified Carter floating around. I'd like to call Newell and see if they'd be willing to sell if they still have it?

championsiren

Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:40 pm

29 ALF wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:53 pm
championsiren wrote:
That's certainly a possibility, as Pennsylvania even has a modified Carter floating around. I'd like to call Newell and see if they'd be willing to sell if they still have it?
That'd be nice... No idea if they still do. It might be a pile of rust by now.
There's a metric crap ton of sirens there according to the streetview... they have a model 2, a 7 on the ground, a pulsator model L, the mystery thing, and I think an STH-10 somewhere around there.
Also, that carter is actually a CLM siren.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:23 am

That carter was made by Line Material Company of Stroudsburg. Not made in Canada, but the company who made it does share some relation to CLM. The sirens in Markleysburg and Newell are close to each other, and don't resemble anything made my any company we know of today. My bet is they were made by a local machine shop.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

championsiren

Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:00 am

Synther wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:23 am
That carter was made by Line Material Company of Stroudsburg. Not made in Canada, but the company who made it does share some relation to CLM. The sirens in Markleysburg and Newell are close to each other, and don't resemble anything made my any company we know of today. My bet is they were made by a local machine shop.
Thanks for correcting me. My memory gets a little fuzzy sometimes.
It probably is made by some local company. I don't think we'll find information to prove otherwise any time soon.

Greenrid

Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:54 pm

sorry for the HUGE bump, but I put both of the sirens on my test map, and they are kind of far away from each other (33.2 miles apart). I was thinking that there might be another close to the middle, like somewhere hiding in Uniontown?
Proud owner of the WIP 508 siren map! ...help is kinda needed
https://rb.gy/bgjrm1

Hoping to get some sirens in the future...

Fanman
YouTube Username: Sirens and Fans27

Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:05 pm

This is a late reply, but the 2023 street view also has the siren up, so it hasn't gone anywhere.
I'm a siren enthusiast but I also collect electric fans

Now I have 8 small sirens, and 47 electric fans :D

Greenrid

Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:28 pm

Sorry for another bump, but I have some info about the mystery siren:

- It has a small handle on the top, possibly to be lifted by a crane? (I'm not sure about why it has one)

- The choppers are actually attached to a gearbox. The motor itself is actually the base (the middle section of the siren is too small to be a motor). If I'm correct, I think these are the only sirens designed like this!

- It's also supposedly active as a fire siren. There is a chance that it could be recorded at some point. It does have power running to it through a very small wire, so it is still possible it's active.

- It's hard to tell on the street view, but it is dual-tone. I counted the ports, and I don't actually think it is a 4/5 or 5/6 (this is a very rough guess, but I think it might be an 8/10)

As for the other one behind the Newell FD, I'm not sure if it was removed. The street view for the alley is only in 2012, and you can't see it from the main street, which does have street view from 2023.
Proud owner of the WIP 508 siren map! ...help is kinda needed
https://rb.gy/bgjrm1

Hoping to get some sirens in the future...

Return to “Mystery Sirens”