SamtheSirenMan(531)

Re: If you could build your own siren system for your city, what would you use?

Wed May 25, 2022 3:57 am

I would probably go with Sentry 40V2Ts, bigger is better, and I like the 10/15 port tone. If I had to go with battery backup, probably the 14V-B. While the 16V2T-B sounds cool, I just don’t think the 2dB increase is worth all the extra equipment and cost vs. a 14V-B. If voice capability was needed, Whelen WPS-2910s.
Siren enthusiast of about three to four years, one of the few siren YouTubers of Oregon
Owner of a partially screwed 1969 STH-10 and a few other small sirens
Oregon State Siren Map V. 2
Email(best contact method): [email protected]

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Wed May 25, 2022 1:54 pm

I made a thread like this in the past, but why don't I create a new post.
Whelen WPS-2900s. Depending on the area, they will be bigger or smaller. But, I'm taking a reverse approach to this. Smaller sirens in more populated areas. Can't have noise complaints, now, can we? You can't piss off the people who need all the quiet time in the world and can't just have a siren go off for a minute.
All ranting aside, let's say what I'd do.
European tone set on every siren. That crap is SCARY. Doesn't sound like an AC unit or a vacuum cleaner. Westminster chimes, voice, then Audible Test, then voice again for tests. This would repeat for about a minute. For emergencies, Gas proof for about 20 sec, then voice for whatever the emergency is. This would repeat for around 4 mins.
2903s placed at close range in really urban areas. 2906s placed at medium range in suburban areas. And, of course, 2910s in rural areas at long range.
Silent test every Saturday at 1:30pm (aka Westminster Chimes and polling), full volume test first Saturday at 2pm.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

carolinasignalco

Fri May 27, 2022 11:34 am

i would use t128s and an i series for the courthouse, to play chimes on the hours
Proud owner of the Carolina Signal co, a mini siren manufacturing company.
I dont check my email!! please dont email me about mini sirens. i only respond to pms. (sorry) get used to typos

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:10 am

Hypothetically, this system would be in place in a metropolitan area, with a dense city in the center and spread out suburbs located around it. The inner city would have Modulator 3012Bs and DSAs spread out, likely at parks and government properties. Still in the inner city but in the less dense areas, the Mods would become bigger, up to the 6024. 508s and Eclipse 8s would join the mix here, and the suburbs on the outside will have a mix of Mods and 508s/Eclipse 8s. This system is somewhat of a mix of Nashville and Chicago.

Testing will of course be on the first Wednesday of the month at 12, with silent testing every day at noon. The electronics will sound a short pulse, then voice, then wail, and then voice again. The mechanicals will sound a short growl, then alert. Theses tests will be 3 minutes long. In the event of a tornado, the electronics will sound wail, in the event of other emergencies they will sound hi-lo. The mechanicals will sound fast wail for a tornado, and attack for other emergencies. The electronics will also sound voice. This will go on in 5 on 10 off minute intervals until the emergency is cleared.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Landon_animatronic

YouTube Username: Landon Animatronics
Discord: Landon_animatronics#8523

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:09 am

I'm perfectly fine having a system of 2907's but if I had to say I would love for my area to have a system of Sentry 16v1t's.
Just a siren enthusiast from Arkansas

Owner of an MS-590 and a couple of fire alarms

NGP201
New User

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:48 pm

i would be DSAs or 4004s on the beaches for PA and tsunami or high waves. T-128s, T-121s and 2900s on the cities for warning of tsunamis, tornadoes, earthquakes and etc. Modulators and 2901s in rural areas near mountains incase of eruptions and landslides.

SentrySterling
YouTube Username: MidMoSirens

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:55 am

Sentry 16V1T-B's for sure. Absolute ground shaker.
"Why am I on this website?" - Me

Mostly a forums lurker now.

MidMoSirens on YouTube
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0mltE ... wScFSSrLrg

daiisen

Discord: Aiiertor #0491

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:21 pm

First System
I would prefer using WPS 4008s due to their coverage and easier to maintain as they are electronic sirens. These will be the main noisemakers of the lot. I would also use 508-128s as they have very far coverage and are still relatively loud.
Second System
Model 2s are small and relatively light sirens, meaning they can be put in places where siren coverage is at lack.
A retired roblox swordfighter from 2010.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”