Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Sentry 10V2T discontinued

Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:37 pm

As the title of the post says, Sentry has finally discontinued the 10V2T after roughly 40 years of production. Sad to see such a great siren go, though it really wasn't selling well near the end of its lifespan. I'm guessing Sentry wanted to get rid of it due to poor sales and lack of DC motor capabilities.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Re: Sentry 10V2T discontinued

Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:52 pm

Wouldn't be particularly surprised that it wasn't selling too well, owing to sentrys other very good offerings. it didn't fill any particular niche like the smaller sentry sirens nor did it offer anything over the larger battery backed ones. unfortunately it just wasn't popular enough. part of me wonders if they might re-release it with a battery backup option but I doubt that.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 am

It's possible they can't procure the motor that's used in that siren due to supply chain issues, but that's purely speculation on my part.

SilverThunder710YT
YouTube Username: SilverThunder710

Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:28 pm

Sad to see a classic like this go. Guess this is our queue to get as many photos and videos of these bois as we can.
Siren geek from South Texas. Although I've loved sirens for years, I've only recently begun digging into the rich history of civil defense. I also proudly own at least thirty weather band radios.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:56 am

The 10V2T didn't really fit in with their modern lineup as far as the SPL per value was concerned. In addition to it not having a battery backup counterpart, they haven't advertised the single-phase version of these in a while now. They had that as an option a while back and probably still carried it for customers who demanded that kind of setup, but it puts Sentry in a bit of an awkward if they are building a siren with two 5 HP motors when the 3V8 with its smaller chopper is also being driven by a 5 HP motor. The three-phase only nature of the siren model made it unpalatable for areas that either didn't have the three-phase to run them available at the site and had to pay to get the electricity there or simply didn't want to deal with the service costs if they would have to pay higher rates for the power over a 240VAC single-phase line. For big single-phase sirens most places get either a 15V or 20V. Sentry does offer VFDs for their sirens and we have seen at least one township get 14Vs that run on VFDs. They could have offered it for the 10V2T as well, but running a three-phase siren on a VFD to give it power from a single-phase source is not the most ideal. Another thing to think about is the siren model had its own chopper size that was different from the rest. If I had to take a wild guess the 15V, 20V, and 16V use the same choppers since there's only a 1 dB difference between the AC sirens and it's pretty well known at this point that the 16V was derived from the 15V originally. The 15V is two 7V8s and the 20V is two 10Vs. If the 10V2T used a different chopper then dropping the model means Sentry doesn't need to spend the extra money to produce them.

I do suspect that they may introduce a new siren in the near future, possibly based on the 3V8, to replace the 10VxT model. The 10VxT is basically an M-10 flipped on its side with horns attached to the stator. The old dual-headed M-5 was based on the M-3, and that chopper eventually went into the 3V8. Sentry could apply the same design to the M-5 and create a new model, let's call it an "8VxT", that could achieve similar performance to the 10VxT if they give it extended horns. It kills three birds with one stone. They already have a DC motor that can drive the chopper and could be stacked to effectively make a mini 16V, a single-phase option since the 3V8 already comes with one to begin with, and it would give them a siren that could do close to the same amount of work with less "siren" as far as the smaller chopper is concerned. If they use what already exist in their product stack the siren would be 8 HP in DC form and 10 HP in AC form, but I think if they wanted to they could take the HP down a notch on the AC side of things. The M-5 at some point under Sterling was upgraded from the sluggish 5HP motor to a 7.5HP one, and those newer ones with the upgraded motor ran much better. They could probably get away with using a dual shaft 7.5 HP AC motor to run that model as a three-phase siren, and with the lower HP requirement they might be able to source a single-phase dual shaft motor for it. While they already have a 7.5 and 8 HP model of siren in production with the 7V8 and 7V8-B I think using two smaller choppers would have a chance of yielding higher SPL. I've heard a 16V1T-B and 14V-B in person before, and the 16V is defiantly louder from like 500 feet away. I threw the idea of to them in one of their posts on Facebook a while back, and they gave it a thumbs up. I've been glued to their page ever since trying to see what else they have in the pipeline.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Xt22

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:52 pm

I hope a replacement siren is in development. As sad as it is to see the 10V2T go it was time to retire the siren. With no battery back up the siren could not compete.
"Hello, I’m Jim Biersach"
-Jim Biersach 1979
Ohio Gang
Go Buckeyes!
Who dey, who dey, who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?

siren fan

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:44 pm

RIP to the Sentry godfather.

C0mmanche

YouTube Username: Vyclops

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:31 pm

aw, those WoNkY horns were probably the reason the 10v2t was my favorite
wee woo liker
not near any sirens
how did i get here
:shock:
i see everyone talk about how they own 8375839 thunderbolts in here but i don't own any sirens

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 am

Got a neat update for everyone. The siren model is being replaced with a new one, the 10V1T... I hit the nail on the head. :D It is what it looks like, two 3V8-H's stacked on top of each other. At the moment Sentry hasn't put out any updated information on it. If I had to guess this siren will directly take the place of the older model, so it would sit above the 7V8 and 10V SPL wise. It seems that the siren will be an AC only model like its predecessor even though the cores themselves have a DC equivalent, but we'll have to see. The 10V2T was based on the M-10. The 3V8 was based on the M-3 and K-3, and the dual chopper M-5 used the same rotor and stator. Ladies and gentlemen, we have just witnessed the passing of the M-10 and the rebirth of the M-5. Cute lil' thing. Literally every siren in the lineup will exist in single and dual chopper form.

Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 am

For those who can't see the image, here's the picture of the 10V1T:
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”