HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Re: Does anyone know if the Aca sirens are still made

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:12 am

championsiren wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm
It's an overall inefficient design.
This and everything after this sentence is spot-on. I'd love to have one as a conversation piece, but for modern emergency management agencies the P-50 is a non-starter. There was definitely a different strategy to designing sirens at the time. The current T-135 can do the same thing as a P-50 with 30 less horsepower and battery backup on a single-phase power source :)
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 am

championsiren wrote:
making it prone to rotator failure (even though I've seen a very low amount of P-50s with rotator failures).
...what?

It seems like the P-50 (T-135AC) did very well in sales during it's final years of production, with many installations popping up in Texas and Illinois as late as 2005. It wouldn't surprise me that it would've continued to sell if most companies didn't drop AC-only sirens and push for battery backup. It's easy to argue it uses an inefficient design, but no other electric siren has been able to pass the 135db mark. I haven't heard one before, but considering how effective a P-15 horn is, I would expect a P-50 horn to work just as well.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:04 pm

Synther wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 am
championsiren wrote:
making it prone to rotator failure (even though I've seen a very low amount of P-50s with rotator failures).
It seems like the P-50 (T-135AC) did very well in sales during its final years of production, with many installations popping up in Texas and Illinois as late as 2005. It wouldn't surprise me that it would've continued to sell if most companies didn't drop AC-only sirens and push for battery backup. It's easy to argue it uses an inefficient design, but no other electric siren has been able to pass the 135db mark.
I won't refute any of this. It did do exceptionally well in its last few years, but, power requirements. As I said, it's not cheap to get 3 phase power installed, and I'm not saying that AC-only sirens are bad, I'm saying that battery backup is far more reliable and AC-only sirens won't be able to operate if the power is out.
The T-135/P-50 is the loudest electromechanical siren in the world, but as I said, the T-135ACDC has gotten fairly close to that, at 132db@100ft.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”