DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Whelen Controller Eats Lead, Gets New Front Panel

Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:06 pm

The WPS-2810 up the street from me got shot by a gun not too long ago. Looking at the entry hole it looks like the bullet was a 45, I'm thinking shot by a Glock or some other handgun. The bullet managed to hit and shred up the logic board and possibly an amp and some other components inside the cabinet. Our vendor came through a few weeks ago and replaced the torn up guts, putting in a new ESC-2030 board, so it now runs at 560 Hz. It is one of now six sirens in the county with a 560 Hz alert, four being WPS-2810s on ESC-2020s and one 2910 on a 2030, and one of five without a soft start. The newest WPS-2910 in the county with the 2030 board is in front of someone's house, so I wasn't able to film it directly. Before it starts you can hear one of Russell County's Vortex-R4s wind up. I wasn't able to catch Ft. Benning's Giant Voice, but their WPS-2909s did go off in alert and voice before the siren ran.

I recorded this with my new Sony Handycam HDR-405 and somewhat flaky Canon PowerShot SX540 HS. The Canon's mic has been trashed for the last couple of years now but has the better image quality compared to the Sony, so I used the Canon's video and the Sony's audio to make this. I really like how the combo of the two worked out. I've never been able to fully capture the 2800's characteristic "hiss" with the 540 or even my old but still functioning 510.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU7i7zDAvLA
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”