Jack123

siren install

Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:44 pm

I apologize in advance if this is not allowed. Please let me know if it isn't and i'll take it down immediately.

Im looking to have a tornado installed at our local fire department. Who would I bring this idea to? The mayor of the city? Emergency management? etc

Also, what are some ideas on how we can get funding to afford to have the siren installed? I don't know what the town's budget for emergency preparedness is, but I know the siren with installation would cost roughly $26,000. I have everything quoted from the company so I know the cost and location of installation. I just don't know who to talk to.

siren fan

Re: siren install

Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:35 am

Usually the city or towns emergency management is who you would talk to.
FEMA sometimes can help with funding for a siren system.
Usually how it works is you get a bid quote from siren companies such as Federal Signal, ASC or Whelen.

Jack123

Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:34 pm

siren fan wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:35 am
Usually the city or towns emergency management is who you would talk to.
FEMA sometimes can help with funding for a siren system.
Usually how it works is you get a bid quote from siren companies such as Federal Signal, ASC or Whelen.

Yes. I got the quote from Federal signal on how much it would cost. Thanks for the info!

siren fan

Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:36 pm

You're welcome. Good luck.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:30 am

Jack123 wrote:
I apologize in advance if this is not allowed. Please let me know if it isn't and i'll take it down immediately.

Im looking to have a tornado installed at our local fire department. Who would I bring this idea to? The mayor of the city? Emergency management? etc

Also, what are some ideas on how we can get funding to afford to have the siren installed? I don't know what the town's budget for emergency preparedness is, but I know the siren with installation would cost roughly $26,000. I have everything quoted from the company so I know the cost and location of installation. I just don't know who to talk to.
Where exactly are you at in terms of location? is a siren necessary?
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Unit of Civil Defense

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:45 pm

Jack123 wrote:
.................Im looking to have a tornado installed at our local fire department. Who would I bring this idea to? The mayor of the city? Emergency management? etc
Since a tornado is a violently rotating column of air in contact with the ground, I seriously doubt that no one would be interested unless a real tornado should impact the community then the mayor and emergency management would have no choice but to take action .
Jack123 wrote:
Also, what are some ideas on how we can get funding to afford to have the siren installed?
Tax rate hikes seem to be popular right now since most municipalities are broke or close to it. My advice to you personally would be to set up a go fund me acct.
Jack123 wrote:
I don't know what the town's budget for emergency preparedness is, but I know the siren with installation would cost roughly $26,000. I have everything quoted from the company so I know the cost and location of installation. I just don't know who to talk to.
To be honest, I am quite surprised that Federal Signal would have dealt with you one on one verses a county commission or city council as examples.
Model L wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:30 am
Where exactly are you at in terms of location? is a siren necessary?

My wild guess would be his back yard in terms of location and as far as necessity, its anybody's bet.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Jack123

Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:21 pm

We have had several come through town. Most recently an EF2 in 2018

29 ALF

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:33 am

Jack123 wrote:
Who would I bring this idea to? The mayor of the city? Emergency management? etc
Each state is different in governance as far as who has the power to do what--for example, New York only allows villages and cities to establish fire departments, sanitation, etc., while towns rely on private corporations, either for or not-for-profit, for such things.
Therefore, I'd suggest talking to a local official, such as a mayor, town supervisor, etc. Additionally, while everyone loves battery backup/voice capability, the fact that your town, which sounds like it is in a tornado-prone area, doesn't have one to begin with indicates it may not have the money for one to begin with, let alone a brand new one at that. Ask nearby municipalities if they have any available.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:36 am

Jack123 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:21 pm
We have had several come through town. Most recently an EF2 in 2018
have you considered that the money may be better spent in educating families about what to do if a tornadic storm threatens the area? it sounds like tornados are pretty infrequent, and a siren may not be a good investment.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”