john_paul
New User
YouTube Username: Enzo Callahan

Any photos of the Hurricane MKII-130 chopper assembly?

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:25 am

What does the original MKII-130 chopper assembly really looks like? I'm aware that everyone here knows the what does a Hurricane chopper assembly looks like but the thing is, it's the assembly of the old square Hurricane 130 or mistakenly called as "MKI". The yellow one in Darien IL that was removed and sold at an auction in 2010 has videos of the chopper assembly uploaded in YouTube but that was not the original MKII-130 chopper, it was a re-used 130 / MKI chopper assembly which is exactly the same chopper found square Hurricane that was removed in Centralia, IL. ACA apparently produced MKII's with different chopper assemblies with the same port ratio. The original MKII-130 chopper, according to the ACA manual, has a 1 HP motor compared to the 130 (square horn/MKI) which has a 2 HP motor manufactured by Doerr.

It would be great if someone here has a photo of the original MKII-130 chopper assembly, there isn't a single photo of it uploaded in the internet.

jerrylovessirens

Re: Any photos of the Hurricane MKII-130 chopper assembly?

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:30 pm

Have you tried emailing the guys at ASC? They might have archival photos?
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

Ziginox

Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:51 am

Does this help? It's from our very own Matt/Blindsight, a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRSk5jikvw

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Ziginox wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:51 am
Does this help? It's from our very own Matt/Blindsight, a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRSk5jikvw
Pretty sure that's the one from Darien OP was talking about that got the core swapped.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Ziginox

Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:54 pm

championsiren wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Pretty sure that's the one from Darien OP was talking about that got the core swapped.
Whoops, pardon me, I'm an idiot :D

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:45 pm

john_paul wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:25 am
What does the original MKII-130 chopper assembly really looks like? I'm aware that everyone here knows the what does a Hurricane chopper assembly looks like but the thing is, it's the assembly of the old square Hurricane 130 or mistakenly called as "MKI". The yellow one in Darien IL that was removed and sold at an auction in 2010 has videos of the chopper assembly uploaded in YouTube but that was not the original MKII-130 chopper, it was a re-used 130 / MKI chopper assembly which is exactly the same chopper found square Hurricane that was removed in Centralia, IL. ACA apparently produced MKII's with different chopper assemblies with the same port ratio. The original MKII-130 chopper, according to the ACA manual, has a 1 HP motor compared to the 130 (square horn/MKI) which has a 2 HP motor manufactured by Doerr.

It would be great if someone here has a photo of the original MKII-130 chopper assembly, there isn't a single photo of it uploaded in the internet.
The chopper in matt's hurricane was an original MKII chopper. The centralia chopper was still in the siren on the microwave tower at the time of that video being recorded. unless youre saying that darien had a chopper swap at some point, i dont think there was ever a different chopper design.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

Someone22

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:06 pm

This is the only photo I have that shows the chopper of a later model hurricane, earlier ones were straight vane and had a can style housing around the motor. It was in Garland TX. It is not my photo.
Attachments
P1010002.jpg
P1010002.jpg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

TheMOCingBird

YouTube Username: armoturo
Discord: .armoturo (include the period)

Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:38 am

sirensandfirealarms wrote: The chopper in matt's hurricane was an original MKII chopper. The centralia chopper was still in the siren on the microwave tower at the time of that video being recorded. unless youre saying that darien had a chopper swap at some point, i dont think there was ever a different chopper design.
The one in Matt's old siren was an original "MKI" fully enclosed chopper assembly, the MKII had a new assembly designed that was just two stators, rotors, and a motor in between. I own that Hurricane now, and it had a bunch of bolt holes filled in around the throats, so it definitely had swap at some point.
You can tell what chopper assembly the Hurricane used by the bolt placement. Four bolts around the bottom of the chopper tube means a MKI style 2hp assembly, you can see this in Luke's old siren and the La Crescent MKIIs. I think most of these had eyebolts as well. Four bolts around each throat is what you see for the MKII 1hp chopper assembly, like what is seen on the Milwaukee siren.
Proud owner of an ACA Hurricane, B&M Model 10, Darley Model 5, Siracode Navy siren, and more

Let's see Paul Allen's Fedelcode.

RamJett
New User

Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:13 pm

this youtube video was uploaded 4 months ago and is a pretty good video of the chopper
https://youtu.be/yRAfrHlGzB8

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”