Jacob boland

YouTube Username: J&J Entertainment

Advice on how to transport a sterling

Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:16 pm

I recently came across a sterling M-5 that was on the ground at a firehouse near Albany NY, I asked the fire department about it and I am going to be getting it, I am picking it up on Saturday and I have a question. What is the best way to transport a sterling? I have a pickup truck to get it but I don't quite know how I am going to lift a 350 pound siren in and out of it, I will have a friend or two help with it. Should I pick it up by the two ends? or should I take those off and move it another way? If anyone has an answer that would be awesome!

jerrylovessirens

Re: Advice on how to transport a sterling

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:04 am

Just my two cents here.

350lbs isn't terrible. One suggestion for transport would definitely bolt, not woodscrew, the siren to a strong wooden pallet. Use at least grade 5 hardware and preferably wide fender washers to back the bolts up behind the pallet wood. For extra security, you could bolt hanger tape over the unit as well.
After bolting it to the pallet, just ratchet strap across the siren to the truck tie downs to keep it from jumping up and down in transport
For removal or loading of the unit off the truck;One could use some strong ramps/ramp boards and then remove the siren from the pallet, and then ratchet strap the siren to a good heavy duty hand truck for security. Loading it would be the reverse. The more help with easing the load on and off the better. Backing up to a small hill or ditch to decrease the angle off the back of the truck will help as well.

I grew up working on all sorts of equipment without a forklift. Loader tractor. Etc. You would be amazed on what you can move around and load with some lumber and a good hand truck/dolly
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

29 ALF

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:25 am

See if the fire department has a winch or any other equipment, maybe you could rig something up on the ladder truck if they have one.
What department or town, if I may ask?

jerrylovessirens

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:28 am

Excellent point on that there. When on location exploit the equipment on hand. Some business just a couple doors down from the fire dep. might even have a forklift you could borrow for 5 minutes if you ask nicely.
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:02 am

When I picked up my Model 5, it was me and three other guys lifting it into the back of a pick-up truck. We used load straps to secure it. For reference, the Model 5 weighs about 300 lbs. I had no idea a Sterling M-5 was that heavy!

Depending on how much time and money you have for prep, there are hoists available that mount to a trailer hitch that might work for you. Some of the FD guys might help you too.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”