Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Re: Mysterious Alertronic 7200 sirens could be in and around the k25 or y12 plants from the Manhattan project.

Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:45 am

NahIDee wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:16 pm
From what I've gathered through Google Earth, streetview, and actual field visits from people, there is only one Alertronic AL-7200 left standing; that being the one on Scarboro Road. The one on Blair Road and Perimeter Road, at the K-25 plant, were removed around 2020-2021. The two located within the K-25 plant were removed a number of years ago.

Locations in and around Oak Ridge were removed or replaced sometime in 2012, most of them being replaced with T-121s or the occasional T-135 AC/DC. The earliest known replacement of one of these sirens was around late 2004, this unit being located just northwest of the disc golf course. On Google Earth, it can be seen still standing, but there is a T-121 just on the other side of the road.

So far, Oak Ridge is the only known buyer of AL-7200s, however, there are some speculations that there were four located at the Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky. Satellite view really makes it look convincing that there are 7200s at BGAD, although I'm a bit skeptical of this as there is one particular unit that looks to be outright missing a horn, and I would be quite surprised if something was able to completely remove three horns in one vertical row. Makes me wonder if A.C.A. made different configurations of this series, and this particular unit is a single-row model. Unfortunately, there's really only one way to find out; that being to go and get pictures.
The BGAD situation in itself is quite weird. I have no clue when the 7200s went directly off of ASC's production line, but considering how there was one CSEPP site in Indiana (I believe?) which had a system of Quadrens, it wouldn't be too surprising.

If it somehow helps debunk or confirm BGADs 7200 fiasco, the only CSEPP site that I have done full research on (Umatilla) got their system in 1996. They did do sound survey testing in 1994, however.

I believe Tooele may have gotten theirs earlier on in 1992? I can't quite recall.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Re: Mysterious Alertronic 7200 sirens could be in and around the k25 or y12 plants from the Manhattan project.

Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:37 am

duckwaddledup wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:29 pm
yeah the ones around the k-25 are long gone since my visit to it only thing left standing is a model 5 atop a fire department even the 2 AL-6000s are gone near the plant on the road'

anyone happen to know what they did with the units?
I know three 6000R units were auctioned off, all of which were sold to enthusiasts (big win!). Unfortunately, they did not come with their controls. The AL-7200s are unaccounted for, my guess is they went off to scrap.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

duckwaddledup

Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:39 am

i knew the 6000s ware sold off but sad the 7200s got scraped
a proud owner of a FS model A and a selectone

NahIDee

Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:34 pm

Bijay wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:45 am
NahIDee wrote:
From what I've gathered through Google Earth, streetview, and actual field visits from people, there is only one Alertronic AL-7200 left standing; that being the one on Scarboro Road. The one on Blair Road and Perimeter Road, at the K-25 plant, were removed around 2020-2021. The two located within the K-25 plant were removed a number of years ago.

Locations in and around Oak Ridge were removed or replaced sometime in 2012, most of them being replaced with T-121s or the occasional T-135 AC/DC. The earliest known replacement of one of these sirens was around late 2004, this unit being located just northwest of the disc golf course. On Google Earth, it can be seen still standing, but there is a T-121 just on the other side of the road.

So far, Oak Ridge is the only known buyer of AL-7200s, however, there are some speculations that there were four located at the Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky. Satellite view really makes it look convincing that there are 7200s at BGAD, although I'm a bit skeptical of this as there is one particular unit that looks to be outright missing a horn, and I would be quite surprised if something was able to completely remove three horns in one vertical row. Makes me wonder if A.C.A. made different configurations of this series, and this particular unit is a single-row model. Unfortunately, there's really only one way to find out; that being to go and get pictures.
The BGAD situation in itself is quite weird. I have no clue when the 7200s went directly off of ASC's production line, but considering how there was one CSEPP site in Indiana (I believe?) which had a system of Quadrens, it wouldn't be too surprising.

If it somehow helps debunk or confirm BGADs 7200 fiasco, the only CSEPP site that I have done full research on (Umatilla) got their system in 1996. They did do sound survey testing in 1994, however.

I believe Tooele may have gotten theirs earlier on in 1992? I can't quite recall.
I really wonder why A.C.A. made the series to begin with. It's such an oddball design, with really only the advantage of covering just a very small additional amount of area. I wonder if it was a special order type of siren? So far the only places that have been known to run them are Oak Ridge and possibly BGAD, which makes me wonder if it was some requirement for the additional coverage? And really there's no way to tell if A.S.C. made them either, unless someone could possibly get in touch with someone in Milwaukee that would know.

I would try giving it a shot to contact Oak Ridge about the one on Scarboro Road, but I can only imagine that'd go about as well as I would and anyone else would expect. I have tried contacting them about their old system before, asking if they would know anything about them, and they said to contact the city of Amarillo, Texas about the Alertronics (considering the fact they used to have AL-4000s).

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

WillamsH28
YouTube Username: JakeH28

Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:06 pm

NahIDee wrote:

Could we see the satellite images?

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:54 pm

This is somewhat unrelated but as long as there is a thread about Oak Ridge I may as well ask. Apparently, according to a map, there are two Whelen 3000s suspended from a water tower? Where is the proof of this?
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

WillamsH28
YouTube Username: JakeH28

Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:40 am

HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
This is somewhat unrelated but as long as there is a thread about Oak Ridge I may as well ask. Apparently, according to a map, there are two Whelen 3000s suspended from a water tower? Where is the proof of this?
Absolutely no clue

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:56 am

HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
They've since been removed, but they absolutely did exist. It's perhaps one of the most jank siren setups I've ever seen!
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... FYKHcg.png
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

NahIDee

Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:58 am

Snowpix wrote:
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
They've since been removed, but they absolutely did exist. It's perhaps one of the most jank siren setups I've ever seen!
When were they removed? They look to still be up on the November '22 streetview.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:59 am

NahIDee wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:58 am
Snowpix wrote:
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
When were they removed? They look to still be up on the November '22 streetview.
I was told by Northeast Ohio Sirens (Frankie) that they were removed back in October. I guess he must've been incorrect, my bad
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”