SilverThunder710YT
YouTube Username: SilverThunder710

Questions about Sellafield's Alarms

Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:02 pm

I stumbled across the Sellafield facility's alarms from 2012, back when another company ran the site. This is what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNgOeqBKQU

Considering that these alarms were from a decade ago, and that currently Sellafield is run by a different entity nowadays, what are the new warning signals, if they are any different at all? Certainly something has to had changed, since the off-site emergency warning is a group of train horns but according to the UK siren map the three sirens on-site are labeled as possible Klaxons or PA systems, could these be where the different sounds come out, or is there a chance of other megaphones around the outdoors portion of the site?
Siren geek from South Texas. Although I've loved sirens for years, I've only recently begun digging into the rich history of civil defense. I also proudly own at least thirty weather band radios.

Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Re: Questions about Sellafield's Alarms

Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:58 am

Bump. My Grandad works at Sellafield, and he says that the 'sirens' that are used there, in his words: "look just like giant speakers; they let out a really loud, droning noise, a bit like a foghorn". This could mean multiple things, but I will try to do a bit more research when I have more time.
Again, sorry for the bump.
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

SilverThunder710YT
YouTube Username: SilverThunder710

Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:45 am

No problem, that actually helps a ton
Siren geek from South Texas. Although I've loved sirens for years, I've only recently begun digging into the rich history of civil defense. I also proudly own at least thirty weather band radios.

BusBedford87

YouTube Username: BusBedfordYT

Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:08 am

Afaik the units used are Hormann ECN3000s.

Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:17 am

I’ve asked my Grandad to ask the Sellafield staff about the sirens when he goes back on-site, so we could get some interesting information shortly!
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:35 pm

Sorry for the bump… if y’all still aren’t yet 100% sure what the sirens in in this video at 34:44 you can see what is clearly a Hörmann if some sort, hope this helps

https://youtu.be/DldTqmpo-yk
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Return to “Community Systems”