SilverThunder710YT
YouTube Username: SilverThunder710

New York CD System Composition

Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:44 am

I'm trying to figure out, where that one iconic single-tone civil defense siren recording was made. I've narrowed the siren down to an H.O.R. Siro-Drone in the greater New York area (specifically Manhatten or Long Island) sometime in the late 1940s to early 1950s, but there is infuriatingly low amounts of specific information on YouTube, aside from a few vintage CD drill recordings where I can hear a whole mess of sirens, including what I believe is what I'm looking (or rather listening) for but the Chryslers, Model 5s and other sirens just seem to muffle out the possible Siro-Drones. I found a few articles in relation, but none of them were of the composition of the system (go figure). I figured that I should come here and ask all of you guys on the Board, because this has been bugging me for literal hours. If it's not a recording from New York, then it would be greatly appreciated if another approximate location would be given.
Siren geek from South Texas. Although I've loved sirens for years, I've only recently begun digging into the rich history of civil defense. I also proudly own at least thirty weather band radios.

WillamsH28
YouTube Username: JakeH28

Re: New York CD System Composition

Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:24 pm

I've heard conflicting reports on if its an HOR siro drone, or a CLM in Canada. Someone has said the Toronto outskirts could be where it originates from

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:11 am

I was told that someone confirmed that the siren sounding was a single tone Carter siren. Then after the main siren shuts down, you can hear a rotating CLM siren continue sounding and the recording ends.

Hacksaw

Sun May 21, 2023 7:59 am

New York City had Chrysler Victory sirens in their early system:

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the- ... 125059417/

Return to “Community Systems”