MattDean1003

Athens, GA Model 2 discovered

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:58 pm

Hey all! We were blessed with the arrival of our second child (daughter #2) this past week, everyone is happy and healthy, and the hospital took great care of us. Friday we decided to run back up to the hospital gift shop and purchase one of the newborn bears with the ribbons tied around it (you write the name, birthdate, all of that info on the ribbons) and I went one of the back ways to the hospital, down Oglethorpe Ave. I remembered seeing a Model 2 or 2T on top of one of the old Navy Supply Corps buildings when I was a kid, and I thought the siren had been removed when the campus was transitioned over into a UGA campus; I'd looked and looked, hadn't seen the siren since I was a kid.

On Friday, that thought was put to bed-the siren is still there, and it's on top of the Winnie Davis Hall:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9634405 ... 312!8i6656

Not a great image, but I will try to swing in and get a picture of it sometime after I go back to work. I would be willing to bet it's a 2T; I seem to recall most 2T's being yellow in color, especially from the civil defense era.
James M. Dean

jerrylovessirens

Re: Athens, GA Model 2 discovered

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:54 am

Congrats on the new addition to the family Matt! Amazing how we have all grown up. I now am married and have three daughters myself.

Great find on the 2T. I can imagine the excitement to see a childhood icon such as this. I've been tempted to get a drone to make finding hard-to-reach sirens easier
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”