TotallynotaFS2001

YouTube Username: Elevating Northwest Tennessee

Paris, TN needs some more tornado sirens

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:25 am

I live in a town nearby Paris, its about 30 minutes away, we have 3 sirens in our town but have a coverage gap in my area. I love to talk about that and my music teacher who lives in Paris told me that she had a tornado nearby but never heard and sirens. The town is large with one single head Sterling gonna try and warn the town. Nope. My music teacher said she did live on the “country” area though. Although I never heard the siren, and it could be powerful, but like I said, our town is a lot smaller and has 3 sirens. Paris is more like a city type of thing, but can only have one siren? That doesn’t make sense.

If you take a look at google street view or like a siren map, you would see that Paris does in fact have one siren, and of course, its single headed..

Paris or what people call “Paris” has another siren, it buried in trees, in an area no where near a large area of the town. Over in Paris Landing State Park, even further from Paris, has 2 or 3 sirens. One is a 2T22 and another one is a 508. These sirens are not heard in the city.

This could be a situation, when people don’t have anything to alert them. Another town thats about 50 minutes from Paris used to have 1 Darley siren, but it was sadly destroyed in a Christmas EF3 Tornado. My math teacher lives in that town, and he said he never heard a siren. He could have lived in a further part, or the siren was inactive or quiet. The good thing is that this town is working to buy new sirens- But what about Paris? They can buy a few new sirens for a smaller town but Paris can only stick with one siren? Thats not good.. :?

Non-Zero
YouTube Username: GSPiedmont425
Discord: pizzaluke#9012

Re: Paris, TN needs some more tornado sirens

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:01 pm

Money.
proud owner of a thunderbolt 1000A, and a 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: Paris, TN needs some more tornado sirens

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:15 am

I have to agree with you that Paris, Tennessee is lacking in both coverage and sirens. To get a better idea of the aprox. size of Paris, Tennessee ,I did some research. As of 2020 ,The population of Paris was just North of 10,00 ....I found some population stats. for cities in the state of Kansas. I found 2 that I am very familiar with thru work that have the aprox. same population of Paris...Atchison and Haysville. There is absolutely no way that one single head Sterling siren in either one of those cities would provide even mediocre coverage for the entire city.
I can attest to the number of sirens that provide coverage in both cities as well as the sirens located just outside of the city limits in the county that provide coverage to areas with in the city limits.
In case anyone is interested, look up the Haysville, Ks. tornado from 1991....that tornado event could just as easy occur in Paris, Tennessee.
Redundancy in how you receive weather watches and warnings is key to survival...period. Weather radios save lives.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Return to “Community Systems”