TotallynotaFS2001

YouTube Username: Elevating Northwest Tennessee

Recently discovered an issue with McKenzie, TN sirens…

Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:19 pm

Last night, we got put under a tornado warning. I expected to hear sirens, like what I heard when somebody reported a funnel over McKenzie. The sirens back then ran in attack. They were loud, because I heard all 3 sirens. I was in the kitchen, and kind of heard it, because it was in attack and heard ambience of all the sirens

Last night was different. I got the tornado warning on my phone and went to my dad’s room to tell him. Then I heard the really quiet humming of a Sentry 16V1T-B. It was so quiet that I didn’t recognize what it was.. I went outside and well- To my surprise, I only heard a faint Sentry 16V1T-B in alert, and only heard one siren. This got me really concerned by the fact that I actually heard ambience last time I heard them run. I don’t know why this time I barely heard anything- Almost like the other sirens stopped working.

My school is closer to a siren then my house, but each Wednesday at 12 PM, when the sirens are supposed to be tested (City hall staff told me), I never hear them. I even tried to get a video one day but still- I never heard them. All the times I
tried to hear them, it was a complete failure.

McKenzie’s system consists of 3 sirens (originally 4 but the one at city hall burnt up), All Sentry 16V1T-B’s. Since I have discovered this issue with all the sirens, Sentry 16V1T-B sirens can be heard clearly for half a mile. They need to install a siren in the North West area, like the part that splits Carrol County into Weakly county.

Take a look at the usa siren map on google, you will see what I mean.

traintraveler

Re: Recently discovered an issue with McKenzie, TN sirens…

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm

That’s a serious issue you got right there, as I have personal experience of not being able to hear a siren go off when it’s one mile away from me and in clear conditions. Considering what all happened last night with the endless amount of TOR:E’s, someone needs to do something about this so the public can be warned and stay safe. I’m not sure if your system is activated by radio or phone line, but I’m guessing multiple sirens failed to activate. Perhaps this is a radio issue?
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

TotallynotaFS2001

Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:38 pm

traintraveler wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm
That’s a serious issue you got right there, as I have personal experience of not being able to hear a siren go off when it’s one mile away from me and in clear conditions. Considering what all happened last night with the endless amount of TOR:E’s, someone needs to do something about this so the public can be warned and stay safe. I’m not sure if your system is activated by radio or phone line, but I’m guessing multiple sirens failed to activate. Perhaps this is a radio issue?
I checked google maps and these sirens are all connected by phone line. Also, my dad says he always hears one at my house but I heard multiple that one day..

I saw how they activate the sirens. They activate them at City hall, in a program on a computer. They can set off multiple, or only one. On the program, theres a button saying “siren on” and “siren off”. Now, I don’t understand why the sirens did attack before, and now alert, but I feel like the system has issues

Unit of Civil Defense

Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:55 am

Noah,
Here's the best advice that I can offer.....
Have your Father report to who ever is responsible in activating the sirens and have him tell them that the sirens did not sound during the tornado warning. The reason that I say your father, is that any one with the city or county will blow you off considering your a minor...its the way it is anymore...I wouldn't , but that me. Don't assume that anybody else has reported this issue and encourage other adults you know in your city to report this as well. The more reports that are taken, the more apt that something will be done in a timely matter.
If they don't sound for the next test or warning , then report it again....do it as many times as it takes til they function properly. You should find out if the sirens can be tested in a silent mode which would explain why you don't hear them at school.....the sirens here in Shawnee Co. Ks. have that capability. I'm afraid that this severe weather season is just starting up as far as the tornado out breaks go....don't let complacency make your city at risk.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Non-Zero
YouTube Username: GSPiedmont425
Discord: pizzaluke#9012

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:24 pm

It may be a polygon-based system. If that's the case, then the sirens outside the polygon (+- some if their coverage is in it) will not sound.
proud owner of a thunderbolt 1000A, and a 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T

TotallynotaFS2001

Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:26 am

Non-Zero wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:24 pm
It may be a polygon-based system. If that's the case, then the sirens outside the polygon (+- some if their coverage is in it) will not sound.
None of my city was under the polygon spot. Most of the county was, but there is no nearby town with tornado sirens that I would be able to hear..
No nearby towns have Sentry sirens, the closest are Paris- with a Sterling, and Gleason with a sterling. Those two towns are over a 30 minute drive and the sirens are surely not going to be heard here.

TotallynotaFS2001

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:37 pm

Update: 2 out of 3 sirens are broken. One burnt out and the other one has an unknown issue.. I will update ya’ll when I can.

Return to “Community Systems”