WoodJ99

"Discreet" vs. "obvious" sirens - which do you prefer?

Fri May 05, 2023 3:15 pm

I've divided sirens into 2 general categories: "discreet" and "obvious." These are based on whether or not a non-enthusiast would see a siren and be able to tell it's a noisemaker or not. For example, a "discreet" siren would be a Model X or a Screamer. Whereas an "obvious" one would be any siren that has horns or a horn (STX-10, XT22, rotational sirens, etc.).

Which style do you prefer?

Sentry88

Re: "Discreet" vs. "obvious" sirens - which do you prefer?

Fri May 05, 2023 3:39 pm

I like the more "Obvious" sirens. Sirens look better with horns.
Proud owner of nothing!
Hello, fellow siren enthusiasts. I am losing interest, but will be back on the board from time to time.

WoodJ99

Fri May 05, 2023 4:50 pm

Sentry88 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:39 pm
I like the more "Obvious" sirens. Sirens look better with horns.
I'm with you. I think they're supposed to have horns. Not to mention, horns project the sound out, as it's meant to go. Many sirens with louvers direct the sound downward.

clarksburg_1000t

Fri May 05, 2023 5:01 pm

I like Discreet sirens because I like to surprise people by saying, "See that air vent on top of that firehouse? That's a siren!"
Last edited by clarksburg_1000t on Sun May 07, 2023 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud owner of a Lion King LK-100 hand crank siren. I also can also brag about riding behind a "Climax" locomotive...almost 10 years later.
Greetings from Morgantown West Virginia, home of the longest and oldest PRT system in the world!

Sentry88

Fri May 05, 2023 5:20 pm

Showed my non-siren friend a light post, Screamer, and a 3T22. He said the Screamer was not a siren. Was interesting when he identified the 3T22 as a siren.
Proud owner of nothing!
Hello, fellow siren enthusiasts. I am losing interest, but will be back on the board from time to time.

Sentry88

Fri May 05, 2023 5:21 pm

clarksburg_1000t wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:01 pm
I like Discreet sirens because I like to surprise people by saying, "See that air vent on top of that firehouse? That's a siren!"
I like doing that too. Very funny to see their reactions.
Proud owner of nothing!

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Fri May 05, 2023 6:57 pm

You know, I've actually never thought of this kind of classification before. I like it!

Going off this, I like discreet sirens more. More of the earlier sirens fall into this category (with notable exceptions, of course, namely most of the "bench grinder style" sirens, but things like Denvers, Decots, and early Federal verticals always spark me joy.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Andrew papesh

Sat May 06, 2023 12:19 am

Though obvious type sirens are more useful because they sound louder, I have to go with discreet because I'm always interested in how they work and sound.
Just a dude who has a hobby of sirens.

TheVintageLouisiana
YouTube Username: Sirens Of Southern Louisiana
Discord: louisianasirens

Sat May 06, 2023 1:58 am

WoodJ99 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:15 pm
I've divided sirens into 2 general categories: "discreet" and "obvious." These are based on whether or not a non-enthusiast would see a siren and be able to tell it's a noisemaker or not. For example, a "discreet" siren would be a Model X or a Screamer. Whereas an "obvious" one would be any siren that has horns or a horn (STX-10, XT22, rotational sirens, etc.).

Which style do you prefer?
Here in Southeastern Louisiana, we have more whelens, although I really love horned sirens. I would choose both.
louisiana :arrow:

Unit of Civil Defense

Sat May 06, 2023 2:06 am

Obvious....
My reason of thinking is that someone who knows absolutely nothing about sirens at least can figure out, hopefully, that when that thing that they see starts making noise out of its horn(s) that something is definitely wrong or that the noise that it makes has something to do with something....could be a tornado,could be a tsunami, could be alerting vol. firefighters to report to the station, could be a a hazmat situation(evacuate, shelter in place) , could be signaling a particular time of day (Noon, curfew, etc.), or the probability of nuclear warheads inbound.
Last edited by Unit of Civil Defense on Thu May 11, 2023 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”