SirensOfAustralia
YouTube Username: SirensAndTrainsDownUnder

The Newly Aquired Skil/Sher Wailing Joe + More Info

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:07 am

Hey all, just figured I'd share to you all my latest acquisition, my new Skil/Sher Wailing Joe. Yes, a Wailing Joe, it's a funny name. Before I begin I'd like to write down what Me & HX56 know so far about these sirens. Currently, the information on the Sher and after merging with Skill is really scarce. So far we only have been able to learn about them based on where they are located and what little things we can see on them. Supposedly only three models have been discovered so far being the Alarm Master, Wailing Joe, Vehicle Siren and the Model 15150. Many Alarm Masters are scattered all over the country except for the state NSW (surprisingly). It seems that CFA Victoria (Country Fire Authority) has tons on each rural fire station. Now that I own a Wailing Joe, it's quite easy to determine which is which. Firstly, the Alarm Master appears to have a bigger and longer stator & chopper. According to the tags on these sirens, Alarm Masters have a 1-2 mile radius of coverage while the Wailing Joe pushes out 1/2 mile radius. We noticed that these sirens run at a really high pitch too. Not to forget, Wailing Joes are more rare than Alarm Masters.

Anyways, onto my own Wailing Joe. It's about time I obtain an Australian siren! Currently there isn't much information about the siren so far but all I know is that it is most likely an Ex. CFA fire siren. Down below are some pictures provided of my Wailing Joe. I'll keep you guys updated on the siren and will soon set off the siren full blast!
Attachments
IMG_8642.JPG
Wailing Joe tag.
IMG_8642.JPG (10.03 MiB) Viewed 3234 times
IMG_8635.JPG
Birds eye view.
IMG_8635.JPG (8.58 MiB) Viewed 3236 times
IMG_8631.JPG
Front view.
IMG_8631.JPG (9.75 MiB) Viewed 3236 times
IMG_8630.JPG
A shot showing the stator and chopper.
IMG_8630.JPG (7.81 MiB) Viewed 3236 times
A siren enthusiast down under. :)

Proud owner of a Skil Sher Wailing Joe & Alarm Master!

clarksburg_1000t

Re: The Newly Aquired Skil/Sher Wailing Joe + More Info

Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:08 pm

A very big congratulations on the acquisition.
I want to hear it run because I can never find a recording online
Proud owner of a Lion King LK-100 hand crank siren. I also can also brag about riding behind a "Climax" locomotive...almost 10 years later.
Greetings from Morgantown West Virginia, home of the longest and oldest PRT system in the world!

SirensOfAustralia
YouTube Username: SirensAndTrainsDownUnder

Re: The Newly Aquired Skil/Sher Wailing Joe + More Info

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:25 am

clarksburg_1000t wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:08 pm
A very big congratulations on the acquisition.
I want to hear it run because I can never find a recording online

I plan on testing it this weekend. If not there's plenty of videos of them going off.

Wailing Joes and Alarm Masters sound the same.

https://youtu.be/R592a-yXRo4
https://youtu.be/0fU8ZkfQEK0
(Skip to 2:54)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK9iGOo ... Y&index=48
A siren enthusiast down under. :)

Proud owner of a Skil Sher Wailing Joe & Alarm Master!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”