CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:41 pm

Didn't Wilmington get new sirens? I watched Local 12 last night and they stated that Wilmington's sirens did not work during the tornado warning.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:47 am

CincyTboltman wrote:
Didn't Wilmington get new sirens? I watched Local 12 last night and they stated that Wilmington's sirens did not work during the tornado warning.
No they haven’t. The current system (minus a few that came later) were installed between 2002 and 2003 to replace a system of two Thunderbolts, a 2T22, and a few Thunderbeams that were installed beginning in 1978. I was at work in Miamisburg when the tornado warning was issued for Clinton County so I didn’t get to hear if the sirens worked or not, but it doesn’t appear that many, if any, worked because most of them are pointed in the same direction they always do (their homing position). My grandma was home during the warning and she said she heard them very briefly but they stopped. I have no clue what happened. I saw that the News Journal said that the sirens “remain inoperative”. What the heck is that about? There is no excuse why they shouldn’t be maintaining our warning system. Apparently there’s a problem (or problems). I think it would be great if they replaced them already because most of the Whelens have issues (some don’t work, some have broken rotators, and some sound quieter than they should). I would like to see them install a system of Federal Signal 508s. Not sure if that would happen though. Here’s an article from the Wilmington News Journal about it: https://www.wnewsj.com/news/197862/are- ... ing-or-not
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
CincyTboltman wrote:
No they haven’t. The current system (minus a few that came later) were installed between 2002 and 2003 to replace a system of two Thunderbolts, a 2T22, and a few Thunderbeams that were installed beginning in 1978. I was at work in Miamisburg when the tornado warning was issued for Clinton County so I didn’t get to hear if the sirens worked or not, but it doesn’t appear that many, if any, worked because most of them are pointed in the same direction they always do (their homing position). My grandma was home during the warning and she said she heard them very briefly but they stopped. I have no clue what happened. I saw that the News Journal said that the sirens “remain inoperative”. What the heck is that about? There is no excuse why they shouldn’t be maintaining our warning system. Apparently there’s a problem (or problems). I think it would be great if they replaced them already because most of the Whelens have issues (some don’t work, some have broken rotators, and some sound quieter than they should). I would like to see them install a system of Federal Signal 508s. Not sure if that would happen though. Here’s an article from the Wilmington News Journal about it: https://www.wnewsj.com/news/197862/are- ... ing-or-not
They've been having issues for awhile it seems, in March when I went on the First Saturday they stated they had tested, even though none of the sirens in the county ever went off. They did the same in February from what a friend told me.

I am aware of the following sirens being somewhat broken right now:
- Williams Memorial Park siren has a broken rotator, does not rotate
- Batteries on the siren in Cuba are dead and that siren isn't working

Last I heard the one Vortex at the water plant building in Wilmington was still inoperable as of earlier in 2021, probably dead batteries, unless they fixed it. I had heard from someone who went to Sabina recently that that one isn't working but I can't say for certain myself. As for the one by I-71, as far as I know that one hasn't rotated in years.

Kind of a shame that they are spotty with maintenance.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:55 am

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:50 pm
Sifed1 wrote:
CincyTboltman wrote:
They've been having issues for awhile it seems, in March when I went on the First Saturday they stated they had tested, even though none of the sirens in the county ever went off. They did the same in February from what a friend told me.

I am aware of the following sirens being somewhat broken right now:
- Williams Memorial Park siren has a broken rotator, does not rotate
- Batteries on the siren in Cuba are dead and that siren isn't working

Last I heard the one Vortex at the water plant building in Wilmington was still inoperable as of earlier in 2021, probably dead batteries, unless they fixed it. I had heard from someone who went to Sabina recently that that one isn't working but I can't say for certain myself. As for the one by I-71, as far as I know that one hasn't rotated in years.

Kind of a shame that they are spotty with maintenance.
Those, plus the one on Davids Drive (has a broken rotator) and the OmniAlert in downtown (which doesn’t activate accordingly) need fixing. It seems that the only maintenance they perform is on the main controller system and radios. I think the previous police chief had very little desire to maintain the system, but it seems like the new chief has some desire to make them reliable again. I hope they will make some serious improvements in the near future as the system is badly dilapidated.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:45 pm

Hamilton and Warren Counties have canceled their tests today, due to the rain. Of course Hamilton County now has a growl test scheduled for next Wednesday.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:57 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:45 pm
Hamilton and Warren Counties have canceled their tests today, due to the rain. Of course Hamilton County now has a growl test scheduled for next Wednesday.
Clermont county cancelled their test too.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Rivian_Kid

YouTube Username: Rivian Kid

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 pm

If anyone is near Harrison (Hamilton co), maybe they could get a growl test of the Excel T-128. I think it deserves more attention, since it is a pretty old siren.

nickrusche

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:35 pm

With all the news about the Crosley Building being renovated into apartments and offices, I remembered there used to be a Thunderbolt on top of it, but Mr. Werden said it was stolen back in the early 2000s. I found a picture of the Crosley Building with the siren on top of it from April of 2003. I do not own the image, it is from the Hamilton County Auditor's website.
Arlington Street Thunderbolt (Crosley Building) - 4-13-2003.jpg
Arlington Street Thunderbolt (Crosley Building) - 4-13-2003.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
It's kind of hard to see but it's to the right of the tree growing from the roof and between the powerlines or telephone lines.

I also wonder if the Thunderbolt on top of Macy's at Tri-County Mall, will come down with the mall or it will be removed beforehand.

carexpertandy

Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:48 pm

Yeah I asked him about that one as well when I had a list of siren locations within the city limits from 2009, and he pretty much told me the same thing. And yeah, it will be interesting to see what ends up happening to the Tri-County Thunderbolt.

Unsurprisingly, Hamilton County cancelled the growl test for today. Let’s see what happens with tonight’s weather!
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Thu May 05, 2022 1:26 am

Not sure if anyone was aware, but Clermont County’s system malfunctioned for the test today, due to a lightning strike. A retest will take place at noon tomorrow.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/cl ... cbTY8mZFQI

Return to “Community Systems”