rulesarecool

Re: Restoring a Gasoline Mobil Directo!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:36 pm

Sorry for the bump, but are there any updates?
I only have a Model 5

Target spamming is getting annoying!

jerrylovessirens

Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:03 pm

Yes, it will be restored to operating condition in the next 1-2years.

Still looking for a good used projector... any real help with this would be greatly appreciated
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:26 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:

Still looking for a good used projector... any real help with this would be greatly appreciated
Perhaps you can get someone to make a mold from a good existing one to make a new fiberglass projector. Or try 3D printing one.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:15 am

HDN wrote:
jerrylovessirens wrote:

Perhaps you can get someone to make a mold from a good existing one to make a new fiberglass projector. Or try 3D printing one.
3D printing one would be overkill. Your best bet is trying to find a metal shop that can fabricate a new projector assembly. Next best thing you could do is find a projector assembly off an Allertor. I believe WSS has a few in their yard, and I think Werden has one. Werden is currently in the process of selling everything on his lot since he's retiring, I would give him a call about it.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

jerrylovessirens

Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:17 am

I'm in contact with several local sheet metal / fab shops I already do business with. The original projector was made with several stampings (think huge press) and weldments. A reproduction out of steel is not out of the question. It would run at least $1000- 2000 for a one- off. It would not be exact seam by seam, but would be proportionate and look alright if not a purist.
Blown Fiberglass much like later ASC products would run about the same if not more for a one off. At that point it would be easier to aquire an Alertor projector and adapt it to the MD.

What do you mean by 3D Printing a large item like this? You do realize how large of an object something like this would be? If you have a source that is capable of printing something that could fill the bed of a truck, send me a link
Jerry

jerrylovessirens

Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:18 am

NahIDee wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:15 am
HDN wrote:
jerrylovessirens wrote:

3D printing one would be overkill. Your best bet is trying to find a metal shop that can fabricate a new projector assembly. Next best thing you could do is find a projector assembly off an Allertor. I believe WSS has a few in their yard, and I think Werden has one. Werden is currently in the process of selling everything on his lot since he's retiring, I would give him a call about it.

Thanks for the info. I'll give Clayton a shout. That's news to me about his retirement.
Jerry

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:39 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:
What do you mean by 3D Printing a large item like this? You do realize how large of an object something like this would be? If you have a source that is capable of printing something that could fill the bed of a truck, send me a link
It's been awhile since I looked at the first pics - now I see the whole toilet bowl assembly is made of sheet metal. I thought it was fiberglass like the rest of the Allertors. In that case, I agree that it would probably be best to have a sheet metal shop fabricate a new one for you. Is the projector that big though, or is the pick-up bed small? :P I really don't know since I've never seen an Allertor up close.

There are big 3D printers that could do the job in one go, but you're most likely to find smaller printers that could make the part in multiple pieces. My printer has about a cubic foot in build volume, so I could do big things, but assembly is required ;)
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:30 am

Just in case you need some help finding manuals for the engine, I got around 700 or so pages worth of Wisconsin manuals and parts lists. I also got a few saved from online. Does this particular unit have the automatic choke adjustment and starting system? That'd be cool if it does!
Also just out of curiosity, would it be at all possible to get pictures of the engine tag? I might be able to get a rough estimate on what year this siren was made by the engine serial number.
Can't wait to see this beast working again!
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

jerrylovessirens

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks Nahldee. I'll keep that in mind. I can't quite recall on the auto choke. It's been awhile since I've seen it up close. It's blown into pieces on a pallet right now. Will find out this Saturday when we take it out of long term storage. Time has flown

Also happy to have one of the country's premier Wisconsin dealers right in my backyard. Engines Service in Milwaukee is the best. Phil and Rick have the best selection and knowledge of NOS parts.
Jerry

jerrylovessirens

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:13 pm

HDN wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:39 am
jerrylovessirens wrote:
It's been awhile since I looked at the first pics - now I see the whole toilet bowl assembly is made of sheet metal. I thought it was fiberglass like the rest of the Allertors. In that case, I agree that it would probably be best to have a sheet metal shop fabricate a new one for you. Is the projector that big though, or is the pick-up bed small? :P I really don't know since I've never seen an Allertor up close.

There are big 3D printers that could do the job in one go, but you're most likely to find smaller printers that could make the part in multiple pieces. My printer has about a cubic foot in build volume, so I could do big things, but assembly is required ;)

You would be correct on the large size of the projector. Fully assembled it has no problem filling up an 8ft full size truck bed been trying to find an on the ground picture with a person included
Attachments
10-27_Air_Raid_Siren_t6071.jpg
10-27_Air_Raid_Siren_t6071.jpg (66.44 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Jerry

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”