Sentry88

Is it possible?

Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm

Just had a thought, would it be possible to mount a siren upside down? Like maybe under an overpass or something? It might be possible with really strong bolts, and a generally light siren, but what about a larger one, something like an STH-10 or Model 5, something like that. It's a wild idea, but I want to know your thoughts about it!
Proud owner of nothing!
Hello, fellow siren enthusiasts. I'm going to be back on the board from time to time but probably won't post much.

whelen-ws-2000R
Probation
Probation
YouTube Username: Whelen-ws-2000R

Re: Is it possible?

Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:23 pm

Sentry88 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm
Just had a thought, would it be possible to mount a siren upside down? Like maybe under an overpass or something? It might be possible with really strong bolts, and a generally light siren, but what about a larger one, something like an STH-10 or Model 5, something like that. It's a wild idea, but I want to know your thoughts about it!
I have never seen that before .
And I don't think so.
Nice idea. :idea:

clarksburg_1000t

Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:47 pm

It could be possible in theory. In practice it's quite difficult and definitely not recommended.
Also, it's nice to see you again.
Proud owner of a Lion King LK-100 hand crank siren. I also can also brag about riding behind a "Climax" locomotive...almost 10 years later.
Greetings from Morgantown West Virginia, home of the longest and oldest PRT system in the world!

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Wed May 01, 2024 12:16 am

It's been done numerous times. There's an STH-10 mounted upside down, a pair of first gen Federal Type Mach. Bs, a Sireno vertical, and a few others come to mind.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Wed May 01, 2024 1:53 am

Theoretically, a vertical siren mounted upside down won’t really have any serious impacts, unless the intake is on the bottom (like an STH-10). If not properly covered with a supplemental housing that would lead to ice build up if in a cold environment.

A horizontal siren mounted so the ends are vertical on the other hand could have serious negative effects on its life, as bearings that were designed to support a transverse load (perpendicular to the shaft) may not support an axial load (in line with the shaft) nearly as well.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Sentry88

Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 am

Snowpix wrote:
It's been done numerous times. There's an STH-10 mounted upside down, a pair of first gen Federal Type Mach. Bs, a Sireno vertical, and a few others come to mind.
Wow, didn't know that! What are your thoughts about a rotating one? Would that be possible? (In theory, it should be)
Proud owner of nothing!
Hello, fellow siren enthusiasts. I'm going to be back on the board from time to time but probably won't post much.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Wed May 01, 2024 3:25 am

That's what the first gen FS&S 500-SH basically is. The Thunderbeam as well, technically.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Wed May 01, 2024 10:14 am

Snowpix wrote:
That STH-10 is/was at Smith & Edwards in Ogden, UT, which is a sports/fishing warehouse. Not a permanent installation, unfortunately.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Greenrid

Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm

In theory, it could be possible to mount a simple siren upside down. You would need very strong bolts, and depending on the size of the siren you might need even longer bolts or extra reinforcement. Gravity would be pulling the siren down just the same as if it were mounted right side up, to it could be done. If you're talking Thunderbolt or P-50 levels, even if you somehow pulled off mounting it successfully upside-down, it still might break, as they aren't made to be upside down and some components couldn't work properly!
Proud owner of the FULL 508 siren map! https://rb.gy/bgjrm1

Hoping to get some sirens in the future...

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 am

Greenrid wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm
In theory, it could be possible to mount a simple siren upside down. You would need very strong bolts, and depending on the size of the siren you might need even longer bolts or extra reinforcement. Gravity would be pulling the siren down just the same as if it were mounted right side up, to it could be done. If you're talking Thunderbolt or P-50 levels, even if you somehow pulled off mounting it successfully upside-down, it still might break, as they aren't made to be upside down and some components couldn't work properly!
A few appropriately-sized grade 5 or 8 bolts should be able to keep most sirens attached to their structure upside-down no problem.

I kinda doubt that a Thunderbolt blower can operate upside down because of the way oil likely flows around the rotors to keep everything lubricated. Try running any car engine upside-down and see what happens with the engine oil - I imagine the same awful thing might happen to an upside-down roots blower!
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”