OfficialSquished

YouTube Username: SquishedKraken

What kind of controllers did Vogtle 3016's had before the T-128's replaced them?

Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:41 pm

I been wondering this for a while now and I wanna ask. Are they like modified Type II's controllers or they are just Type-II's with a new attachment to them?

It would be a pleasure to tell me what it is so I can understand what generation of the Type II it is though.
Thanks! :D
Last edited by OfficialSquished on Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirensOfAustralia
YouTube Username: SirensAndTrainsDownUnder

Re: What kind of controllers did Vogtle 3016's had before the T-128's replaced them?

Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:21 am

There’s nothing different with these controllers internally. I’m pretty sure the compartment above the board is an external radio box. I’m not sure if Whelen still offers extra battery and external radio compartments. An example could be Tooele UT’s 2800s. To identify the three types Type one is simply the Vortex cabinet that doesn’t have an external battery compartment, Type II has a small external battery compartment, Type III cabinets have a larger external battery compartment (ESC-864 Type III enclosures would have two external battery compartment)

As far as I know, all of Vogtle’s 3000s had ESC-2020s on 435hz. I believe some of the ESC-2020 upgrades were FPUs? Surprisingly, they might have been the only WS/WPS-3000s running on 435hz ESC-2020 boards.

There’s recordings of them which are linked below.
https://youtu.be/_DFrbpiLr7g
https://youtu.be/VfVX4PlYXcQ
A siren enthusiast down under. :)

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: What kind of controllers did Vogtle 3016's had before the T-128's replaced them?

Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:42 pm

Originally the sirens had dual-toned ESC-864 logic boards and typical Type II cabinets of that era. They upgraded them in the early 2000s to the 2020s and decided to do a complete upgrade to the controls, where they ditched the cabinets for the ones they had up until the point when they were replaced. They probably had a Motorola MOSCAD or ACE3600 inside the boxes up top. I think McCord did those installations. Typically they would get the RTUs from Motorola already installed in their own boxes that they would add to the pole, however for some of the installations, if they knew up front that they were going to use RTUs to augment the system they'd order the cabinets from Whelen with the extra box and put the RTUs inside. It wasn't something they did on a regular basis though since a lot of their installs had separate boxes.

Whelen still offers the extra box up top for radio equipment. It's available for the Type I cabinet as well. I believe they designate the extra equipment box with a "-C" for the model of the cabinet.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

OfficialSquished

YouTube Username: SquishedKraken

Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:07 pm

Thanks for your guys help! Also, I own 6 siren controllers from the system. Very lucky, I got all 6 of the 435hz ESC-2020 controllers for free.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”