q2bman

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:08 pm

They just had one eQ but had the usual dual 100 watt "bumper sirens" probly CPI siren speakers. The whelen siren was just as loud as the Q. Big dissapointment.

I saw a firetruck comming down the street last night in Ft Worth. Man was she bright! I pulled over in Taco Bell to hear what siren she had. I heard an old Federal Signal PA-300 and at the intersection when the light turned yellow she activated her Q. Wow I love that Q siren. That rig must have been doing 40 through the intersection with PA, Q and Grover Emergency Horns blareing! I loved it! Great doplar effect. I should have a camera with me at all times!

You work on the ambulance svc? Where?
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

q2bman

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Robert!

Not Pezio, I was thinking of the Neodynium (Spelling?) speakers. If you look in Galls magazine you'll see the ts100 for 89 bucks has a small mag. and the regular ts100 for 100 bucks has the reg driver. Any sound difference? Is this not the same technology in the Dynamax speaker?

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:53 am

q2bman wrote:They just had one eQ but had the usual dual 100 watt "bumper sirens" probly CPI siren speakers. The whelen siren was just as loud as the Q. Big dissapointment.
Do the CPIs have the totally round bell (projector) with long cone?
That is the most efficient design and loudest.

JUST ONE eQ?!! They are a fortune. How many do you want?
q2bman wrote:I saw a firetruck comming down the street last night in Ft Worth. Man was she bright! I pulled over in Taco Bell to hear what siren she had. I heard an old Federal Signal PA-300
You are good! I could never tell that it was a PA-300.
q2bman wrote:and at the intersection when the light turned yellow she activated her Q. Wow I love that Q siren. That rig must have been doing 40 through the intersection with PA, Q and Grover Emergency Horns blareing! I loved it! Great doplar effect. I should have a camera with me at all times!
We take a camcorder everywhere we go just in case we see something,
which naturally has never happened so far.

Why use the horns and Q when the traffic signal is YELLOW?
Cross-traffic will not get a green until one to three seconds after the
fire truck gets a red signal. Another case of needless extra noise -which I like - but is not good for the public.
q2bman wrote:You work on the ambulance svc? Where?
I used to work for Metro Paramedic Ambulance in Denver, CO.

Whelen Rules

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:18 am

Whats the basic output of a 100 watt speaker? I am fixing to purchase a Galls package with a sk144 galls speaker that produces 120 dB a 10' they say its a good traffic clearer but some whelen speakers say 123 dB? Also does 2 100 watt speakers bump the dB rating up considerably? Because our ambulances here have 2 100 watt speakers with SVP or Whelen sirens and they don't sound much louder than the 100 watt speakers on our Police cars.
Tyler Lund

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:18 am

q2bman wrote:Robert!

Not Pezio, I was thinking of the Neodynium (Spelling?) speakers. If you look in Galls magazine you'll see the ts100 for 89 bucks has a small mag. and the regular ts100 for 100 bucks has the reg driver. Any sound difference? Is this not the same technology in the Dynamax speaker?
Neodynium looks correct.

If they have the same wattage output and dB output they should sound the same.
The newer magnets are claimed as powerful as the older larger heavier magnets and create the same flux density at the coil.

I like them because they take up less space in tight locations and less weight means less stress on whatever they are mounted on, which is often a concern. We have two speakers mounted on a crossmember
behind the grill and it was never designed for that extra load. Imagine the stress when the vehicle hits a dip or bump a little too hard?

The big magnets have a problem of their metal flaking and tiny pieces getting into the voice coil gap.
The pieces would wear off the shellac insulation and short outhe coil.

I presume none of this happens withe Neodynium.

q2bman

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Whelen Rules wrote:Whats the basic output of a 100 watt speaker? I am fixing to purchase a Galls package with a sk144 galls speaker that produces 120 dB a 10' they say its a good traffic clearer but some whelen speakers say 123 dB? Also does 2 100 watt speakers bump the dB rating up considerably? Because our ambulances here have 2 100 watt speakers with SVP or Whelen sirens and they don't sound much louder than the 100 watt speakers on our Police cars.
Usualy 112 db at 10' for 100 weatt speakers. Useing two bumps up the db quite a bit, although you will have to hear the difference cause in numbers it doesn't look that much. I think maybe an extra 5 or 10 dbs. But, 5 or 10 dbs is a considerable difference.

q2bman

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:01 pm

robert gift wrote:
q2bman wrote:They just had one eQ but had the usual dual 100 watt "bumper sirens" probly CPI siren speakers. The whelen siren was just as loud as the Q. Big dissapointment.
Do the CPIs have the totally round bell (projector) with long cone?
That is the most efficient design and loudest.

No, they are the different shapes but use re-entry cones like the ts100 models. Same driver too.

JUST ONE eQ?!! They are a fortune. How many do you want?
q2bman wrote:I saw a firetruck comming down the street last night in Ft Worth. Man was she bright! I pulled over in Taco Bell to hear what siren she had. I heard an old Federal Signal PA-300
You are good! I could never tell that it was a PA-300.

I've had many. The tone is distintive. Kind of a reverse yelp if you will.

q2bman wrote:and at the intersection when the light turned yellow she activated her Q. Wow I love that Q siren. That rig must have been doing 40 through the intersection with PA, Q and Grover Emergency Horns blareing! I loved it! Great doplar effect. I should have a camera with me at all times!
We take a camcorder everywhere we go just in case we see something,
which naturally has never happened so far.

Why use the horns and Q when the traffic signal is YELLOW?
Cross-traffic will not get a green until one to three seconds after the
fire truck gets a red signal. Another case of needless extra noise -which I like - but is not good for the public.

Not realy, the fire truck got a yellow and could not slow down. Going roughly 40 mph. You know as well as I do people watch the other lights to see when the light they have will change. This kind of defeats the purpose of the delayed green you mentioned. They also turn right on red, and there was a right turn lane not protected by an arrow. By the time the truck occupied the intersection the oposeing traffic had a green.
q2bman wrote:You work on the ambulance svc? Where?
I used to work for Metro Paramedic Ambulance in Denver, CO.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:08 pm

I would love to own a Federal Q. :)

I know since I heard one in Albuquerque NM, I fell in love with them.

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:58 pm

A paramedic said he had attached a Q to his motorcycle.
Think it was one that was not chrome plated.

I don't know how it could work on such little amperage.
Also, I would never want to be so close to it if it did attain speed.

It fell off and was destroyed.

zetronist

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:54 pm

robert gift wrote:A paramedic said he had attached a Q to his motorcycle.
Think it was one that was not chrome plated.

I don't know how it could work on such little amperage.
Also, I would never want to be so close to it if it did attain speed.

It fell off and was destroyed.
B&M used to produce mechanical motorcycle sirens that ran by friction, not electricity. The one on their site is an antique; (see picture below) they had some more recent models. They were very common on Southern California Police bikes in the 1960's, 70's and early 80's. Not sure if Federal ever made a mechanical siren for motorcycles.

Remember, a lot of people today confuse "Mechanical Siren" with "Q2B", thinking anything mechanical is from Federal. It could be that the guy was saying he had a "mechanical" siren and calling it a Q, not realizing it was a B&M. I hear that mistake a lot.

John

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”