Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Dickson, TN Storm siren inoperable, city using email alerts

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Not only is it LaVergne.. now Dickson is in on it. I think it's about time for me to take some decisive action.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120 ... ail-alerts
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm

It's sad that a high school student can have a better siren(s) in his housing development than a city.

I'd bet that Charlie, Jeb, Werden Electric, etc... could have that Sentry diagnosed in less than an hour!

uncommonsense

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm

weasel2htm wrote:It's sad that a high school student can have a better siren(s) in his housing development than a city.

I'd bet that Charlie, Jeb, Werden Electric, etc... could have that Sentry diagnosed in less than an hour!
They have. It's bad batteries. It sounds like the money just isn't there to pay for them. The community didn't pay for the siren; a consortium did.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm

uncommonsense wrote:They have. It's bad batteries. It sounds like the money just isn't there to pay for them. The community didn't pay for the siren; a consortium did.
It's not so much just bad batteries, it's the way they have the input power circuit hooked up going to the siren's battery chargers. They have a light switch hooked to an underground power source on a service entrance pole near the siren, which is wired to a security light on that service pole and a run of 10/2 Romex running overhead from that pole to the siren's pole. For some reason, someone keeps turning off the light switch, which kills the power to the battery chargers and causes the batteries to go flat from sitting unused for long periods of time. Someone (Charlie?) needs to just go up there and break the operator off of that stupid switch in the "on" position and fill it shut with epoxy.
-Ian M.

kswx29

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm

I wana know why communities in states like Kansas and Oklahoma NEVER get rid of their entire siren systems in favor of these text-based systems, yet communities in states recently hard hit with severe weather in the previous years are all for it. I think text based systems are great especially in today's world but I also think sirens are still a vital part of the warning process.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm

That's because people in the midwest have lived with sirens all of their lives, but many in the south haven't. Down here sirens aren't even given a chance to show how effective they can be.

r4tbolts

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Electric as a primary energy source is more reliable than batteries. Batteries as a back up is great but I have never seen the wisdom of making batteries the primary power source for warning siren. IMO it is asking for problems and sadly many communities once the siren goes up the powers to be pretty much forget about them till they fail.

landmobile

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:... someone keeps turning off the light switch...
That sounds all too familliar. My fire company frequently responds to an alarm activation that is caused by low presure in a parking garage sprinkler system. Outdoor sprinklers are often charged with compressed air so they don't freeze, and the pressure is maintained by a compressor. In this particular parking garage, some genius decided to install a switch that shuts off the compressor in a janitor's closet, right next to a pile of brooms and mops. You can probably guess what keeps happening to that switch.
Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:59 am

What kind of an idiot puts a light switch right there? I'm laughing yet somewhat annoyed and it's not even my problem.

Anyone experienced with hot (120V if I'm guessing and understanding right) work can take a try at removing the switch and just connecting the wires with wire nuts.
---------------
*Disclaimer: bad idea...don't do that. I take no responsibility for putting ideas into anyone's heads to do hot work. Never work anything electrical when it's live.*

Taterworks

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 am

When a real disaster hits, I'll be interested to see if any of these email/text messaging schemes really work.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”