bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

USA Today article on sirens

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 am

I just came across this nice article on the usefulness of outdoor warning sirens and thought I would share it with you all. Good to hear a story about how this "cold war era" technology we all love still has a life saving place in our society instead of hearing irresponsible EMA directors dismiss it as outdated.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/ ... 54540638/1

bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:11 am

And I happened to find the exact opposite article, complete with plenty of ignorance.

http://earthsky.org/earth/rely-on-a-noa ... nado-siren

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 am

First article was written by someone who actually did the research.

Second article was written by the another one of those James Spann worshippers.

Taterworks

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:47 am

holler wrote:Second article was written by the another one of those James Spann worshippers.
"Second article was written by another one of those clattering buttocks."

There, I fixed it for you.

Fletch

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 am

I don't see how anyone could dismiss sirens as a vital part of a comprehensive warning system. The ignorance is unreal.

Alasiren1977

Wed May 02, 2012 1:23 am

OMG..what is wrong with people on attacking sirens all of a sudden!! I just had to rip some idiot on a YouTube post from a Tuscaloosa, AL video! I asked a while back why the sirens were not going off while the F4 was ripping through the city and found out that it had hit the EMA office right as it was coming into town and knocked out the radio transmitter.

Well today I get a response from idiot # 1: " Sirens are an inadequate and outdated means of warning. Weather radios and smarphone apps are more effective".

Of course I wanted to type a thesis to this moron but you are only limited to 500 characters so I responded back:

" What?! Where do you base that from? Sirens have saved countless lives since they starting using them! The problem with sirens, weather radios, and cell phone alerts is they have one common denominator and that is they are all controlled by wireless signals, which is imperfect anyway you look at it. If that tornado would have hit a cell tower or NOAA tower then all those "effective" devices you claim are better would have failed to! Sirens are just as effective.. just for outdoor warnings".

Ughh I am so disgusted with people like that!! Here is the link to the video and the comments if anyone would like to add their two cents in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqUxBgzy ... plpp_video
Certified Storm Spotter for Davidson and Williamson County, TN

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 am

I managed to piss off a bunch of people on the second article. The ignorance is astounding.

MattDean1003

Thu May 03, 2012 5:37 am

No, Jeb, what you have done is taken a Louisville Slugger to a large hornets nest and beaten the hell out of it. I love how the misinformed people get upset because of a simple malfunction. You NEVER hear anyone praise sirens anymore, or you never see the "The only way I knew the tornado was coming was the siren-I heard it and took cover." I'm watching this article pretty close, lol. Keep pissing them off.

On a closing note, speaking from the above post from Alasiren1977, not everyone has a weather radio and sure as hell don't have a smartphone. Yes, I get weather alerts on my iPhone, however being that I'm a cart pusher outside at Walmart, I rely on them to tell me when something is coming. Yes, I can hear Winder and Auburn's tornado sirens, but not loudly and I sure don't rely on them to tell me when a storm is on the brew. Plus, I'd like to know simply when a thunderstorm is headed towards Barrow County. Who wants to be outside pushing metal shopping carts with bolts of lightning?
James M. Dean

Bama2001

Sat May 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Off topic: but When the tornado came through Tuscaloosa last year the sirens went off in attack at least 8 times. The last time in alert right as it went through our subdivision. So YES they did go off, i've wondered why no youtube videos have surfaced with the sirens going off.
Chris

r4tbolts

Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Bama2001 wrote:Off topic: but When the tornado came through Tuscaloosa last year the sirens went off in attack at least 8 times. The last time in alert right as it went through our subdivision. So YES they did go off, i've wondered why no youtube videos have surfaced with the sirens going off.
Probably because serious poop was about to hit the fan, That storm was one of those get your tail to shelter now!!! storms. Some things and situations you play with and then some things you listen to the inner voice saying screw this I might die here the video be damned.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”