Daniel

How to identify Sterling models.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:58 pm

The identicifation of pre-Sentry Sterling sirens has always been a bit of a mystery to me. There was the M-5, the M-10, dual tone and single head versions, as well as smaller vertical sirens, and I don't know which are which. This one, for example, looks like a newer one and is much larger than the old 30's models, but I don't know what it is.

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Archon

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:19 am

THIS RED ONE could be a old Federal siren too Sterlings all that ws different between a m-5 and m-10 was a bigger HP motor other wise they look the same except for the Y-5 which had a motor brake on one end . I have a Y-5
and a M-5[/quote]

Daniel

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:49 am

My guess is that it is a Sterling from the 60's or 70's. At least an M-10. This sucker was huge, and I would love to know what they did with it.

500AT

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:20 pm

Sterling also made vertically driven sirens, much like Federal's Models 1,2,3, C-3?, 5, and 7?. The earlier models looked like tin can, but after World War II, had streamlined hoods on them. There is an inoperative example of the latter design atop the police station in Belleville, Michigan.

As a child in Dundee, Michigan, they had a single-tone (dual rotor?) Sterling siren was that so loud, I had to cover my ears when walking by the fire station across street with my babysitter one afternoon. This siren looked like a large Federal Model 5, minus the two weather hoods, and resembled a vertical cylinder, with plenty of room for air-intake, possibly with two rotors. Also, there were two hinged panels that could be opened to lubricate the motor bearings. To this day, I have never seen another unit like it.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

500AT

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:44 pm

Here is a really interesting photograph of an early Sterling siren. This unit was purchased and placed into service in the spring of 1917, by the village of Manchester, Michigan. This unit is still in service, but now acts as a backup to the new 2001, and second-hand 2T22 that was purchased as a replacement fire siren.

Ironically, this old Sterling outlasted two Whelen WPS-2000-16 sirens, which were purchased as initial replacements. This siren is located inside the old hose tower, which I believe really added to it's great longevity, by protecting it from the elements. This unit runs off 440 volt three-phase power, but has a newer Federal Engineering Corporation, circa late 1940s motor starter.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Daniel

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:14 am

Sterlings seem to be about the longest lasting sirens in the industry.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”