SirenMN

Siren Effectiveness Area - ACA S10

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:45 pm

I live outside of Prinsburg, MN, a town of around 500 people. The city limits are about a 1/4 miles square and they have one S10 located in the south central part of town. They got a thunderbolt from Willmar, MN five years ago with the intent of putting it up by the fire hall on the west end of town (this has yet to happen and I'm after the T-Bolt). The sirens would be located about 3-4 blocks away from each other.

My question is: Is it even necessary to have two siren in a town this size?

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Quarter of a mile is within the S-10's 70db range. But you can never have too much coverage.

Urbanexplorer
YouTube Username: 500 Internal Server Error

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:13 pm

holler wrote:But you can never have too much coverage.
In that case, they'd be better off replacing the S10 with the T-bolt and installing it in a central location, if that's an option.
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Formerly known as "Conky 2000".

SirenMN

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 pm

The only thing that I don't understand is that the town doesn't even have a blower for the T-Bolt. Doesn't greatly reduce the actual effectiveness?

TBOLT1000

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:31 pm

SirenMN wrote:The only thing that I don't understand is that the town doesn't even have a blower for the T-Bolt. Doesn't greatly reduce the actual effectiveness?
Definitely, it can reduce it`s warning power by I`d say 80-90%. I run mine almost weekly without the blower running and you can hear it about 1/8, maybe 1/4-1/2 of a mile while a thunderbolt can be heard at least 2-3 miles away with the blower running.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 am

A thunderbolt without a blower is quieter than a Model 2. The blower makes the siren.

SirenMN

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:30 pm

[quote]A thunderbolt without a blower is quieter than a Model 2. The blower makes the siren.[/quote]

Can you give me an actual source that proves that point? I believe you, but I am going to write a persuasive letter to the EM guy from the fire dept. to say why I should be able to get the T-Bolt from town. Not only to I want the siren, but I don't see a reason to hook it up without the blower if it's power is so greatly reduced. Sources are always a big help!

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 pm

SirenMN wrote:Can you give me an actual source that proves that point? I believe you, but I am going to write a persuasive letter to the EM guy from the fire dept. to say why I should be able to get the T-Bolt from town. Not only to I want the siren, but I don't see a reason to hook it up without the blower if it's power is so greatly reduced. Sources are always a big help!
Here's one I just recorded last month running without the blower, you can tell it definitely does not have near the volume it should have when the blower is functioning properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE4K0funk6Y

Compare that with this video of another Thunderbolt in the county that's on the same chopper setting as that one, except running with a fully-functional blower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYjbmV9UXH0

SirenMN

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am

Whoa, there is a huge difference! Thank you for this awesome recording.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Your town might be able to buy/build a blower for the thunderbolt out of a leaf blower or somthing like that. 8) They could also make a swichbox for the blower,chopper, and rotator. I hope my advice helps you! :D

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”