Jim Z

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 pm

RyanJamesDean98 wrote: Ok. I see where your coming from. It just seems like everyone that I talk to about this underestimates me. I have the time. I got a whole summer coming up that I plan to use on working on my restoration projects.
it's not a matter of underestimating. it's not people flinging crap at you because of your age. it's people who have done stuff like this before trying to help you understand what you'll be getting into. We're saying "these things are really heavy and this work is hard and time consuming," and you're hearing it as "ha ha look at this dumb kid" and getting all pissed off as a result.

Jared H
YouTube Username: The Siren Seekers
Discord: shodowhater#1003

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:40 am

thats why i recommend starting small...EG model 2. smallest there is a model 5.
------------------------------
Apparently the chat room is haunted... -VASirens 2015
Friendly Neighborhood Thunderboltologist, if such a thing exists.

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Jared H wrote:thats why i recommend starting small...EG model 2. smallest there is a model 5.
There is a model 2 there.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

hobbeekid

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 pm

uncommonsense wrote: I don't know if you're arrogant, na?ve, or mix of both, but I can assure you that jimz is spot on. I eyed a 2T22 when I was 15 and my parents gently brought me off that pedestal. And I'm so glad that they did. Now that I'm 25 and living in an apartment, I wonder just what the hell I would've done with it. Not to mention our house had no proper electrical hookups and we lived in suburbia. And I'm no good with tools. So essentially I would have gifted my parents a half ton of useless metal. And what would you do with it? Blow it a few times and get bored?

Hmmm to me a 2t22 is pretty easy to handle/store when broken down into sub assemblies than a assembled monster,it takes up alot less space than you think. Assembled they can be hard to handle by hand but with the right equipment and a systematic way to assemble and disassemble,they can be easier to handle and set up to have fun with on occasion.I made sure the ones I obtained were single phase so electricity would'nt be a problem. I also made a roll around triangulated stand to display/sound mine on on occasion.Anyone who acquires a big siren legally has to have a plan for it that's all.

RyanJamesDean98
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: RyanJamesDean

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:55 pm

hobbeekid wrote:
Hmmm to me a 2t22 is pretty easy to handle/store when broken down into sub assemblies than a assembled monster,it takes up alot less space than you think. Assembled they can be hard to handle by hand but with the right equipment and a systematic way to assemble and disassemble,they can be easier to handle and set up to have fun with on occasion.I made sure the ones I obtained were single phase so electricity would'nt be a problem. I also made a roll around triangulated stand to display/sound mine on on occasion.Anyone who acquires a big siren legally has to have a plan for it that's all.
Thats exactly my thoughts. Even when you break down a Thunderbolt they can be very easy to maneuver.
Proud Owner of too many sirens
Pictures, Video, and More Available on My Website.

hobbeekid

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:19 pm

RyanJamesDean98 wrote:
I am starting to believe that everyone on this forum is very negative about everything. I am 15 right now. I have the garage space to work on sirens. If you also looked into a bit more about me, you would know that I am going to restore them and open an exhibit at the Kansas Air Museum. Much like other enthusiasts who keep them at their own house, yes I would probably blow it a few f***ing times. I am good with tools and motors and electricity. I joined this forum in hopes of finding support and talk with fellow enthusiasts, but so far, about half of the people on here just like to s#!t on other people.
Hey, my thoughts on what you said above are not everyone is being negative on you. There are hurdles to legally obtaining a siren and you just can't go take them at random. everyone who collects sirens on here has done it through some legal means or by obtaining permission. I say go for it if you can obtain a siren with permission from the powers that be, and you've formulated some kind of plan to handle/store it, go get one then. These guys on here are just looking out for your best interest and they're just letting you know from their experience what's involved and what they've been through with obtaining one of these devices legally barring the flaming lol!
IMO living in tornado country might make it a little more difficult for you to obtain any kind of warning siren from the local authorities.Just sayin. They really don't want any potential for "loose cannons" so to speak sounding false alarms so you might have some problems there. If you can show them you are a responsible collector and that your intentions are for a historical display at the Kansas air museum, Whoever you need to talk to just might buy it. :wink: Good luck on your mission!Remember nothing ventured nothing gained...

RyanJamesDean98
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm

hobbeekid wrote:
RyanJamesDean98 wrote:
I am starting to believe that everyone on this forum is very negative about everything. I am 15 right now. I have the garage space to work on sirens. If you also looked into a bit more about me, you would know that I am going to restore them and open an exhibit at the Kansas Air Museum. Much like other enthusiasts who keep them at their own house, yes I would probably blow it a few f***ing times. I am good with tools and motors and electricity. I joined this forum in hopes of finding support and talk with fellow enthusiasts, but so far, about half of the people on here just like to s#!t on other people.
Hey, my thoughts on what you said above are not everyone is being negative on you. There are hurdles to legally obtaining a siren and you just can't go take them at random. everyone who collects sirens on here has done it through some legal means or by obtaining permission. I say go for it if you can obtain a siren with permission from the powers that be, and you've formulated some kind of plan to handle/store it, go get one then. These guys on here are just looking out for your best interest and they're just letting you know from their experience what's involved and what they've been through with obtaining one of these devices legally barring the flaming lol!
IMO living in tornado country might make it a little more difficult for you to obtain any kind of warning siren from the local authorities.Just sayin. They really don't want any potential for "loose cannons" so to speak sounding false alarms so you might have some problems there. If you can show them you are a responsible collector and that your intentions are for a historical display at the Kansas air museum, Whoever you need to talk to just might buy it. :wink: Good luck on your mission!Remember nothing ventured nothing gained...
I was never going to illegally obtain them in the first place. lol. I get where your coming from on the false alarm stuff. I plan to follow the guidelines of the county. I plan on even setting up some sort of switch to keep the power cut to them when I'm not around. I know what your talkin' about with the museum stuff too :wink:

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:29 pm

You took some very nice pictures RyanJamesDean98, nice job!

What is this behind the Thunderbolt in this picture. (In the background to the left of the horn opening.) It kind of looks like a T-128.
http://www.ryanjamesdean.com/#!Thunderb ... u/imagehqj
*you have to copy everything in blue into your browser, hyperlinking is failing to work in every form*
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

RyanJamesDean98
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 am

mrboojay wrote:You took some very nice pictures RyanJamesDean98, nice job!

What is this behind the Thunderbolt in this picture. (In the background to the left of the horn opening.) It kind of looks like a T-128.
*you have to copy everything in blue into your browser, hyperlinking is failing to work in every form*
Its just another Thunderbolt. What you're seeing is the rotator box. Just to be clear, its this picture right? http://gyazo.com/f9533192ad3637cef81ba76d2d2e8ed3

Sirenguy02

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:31 am

RyanJamesDean98 wrote:
mrboojay wrote:You took some very nice pictures RyanJamesDean98, nice job!

Its just another Thunderbolt. What you're seeing is the rotator box. Just to be clear, its this picture right? http://gyazo.com/f9533192ad3637cef81ba76d2d2e8ed3
I think he means on the pole in the background.
~Mitchell Tsokatos
Owner of a P-10 and Model L

Return to “Videos and Media”