kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Re: Los Angeles CD siren system

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Mark N wrote:Where do they go? The scrapyard?
Two of them are at the Ft. MacArthur museum in San Pedro, and at least a few of them are in private collections. I believe our member BigMikeSoCal has one of the 500Ts. As for the others removed, I'd assume that the contractor who did the removal could do as they please with the sirens. I don't have any former LA sirens, but I do watch a few of them closely in case a wayward driver causes one to "become accessible" some night :thup:

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 pm

I thought there was a Model 300 somewhere in California, near LA?

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm

So they just left them on their poles after the cold war to rot :evil:
I would have rewired them all and used them for a weather/other warning system. I can't stand it when this happens.
kx250rider wrote:The sirens are slowly disappearing as construction and road work goes on. In other words, if you get a building permit from the City on a street which has no sidewalks yet, or if your project is to interfere with the siren location, you are required to pay to have the siren removed as part of your permitting process. This way, the city gets out of having to pay for the removal, and the builder or property owner gets stuck for it. So the bottom line is that as of last count, about 70% of the Los Angeles County sirens are still standing; in various states of disrepair.
I know this is off topic, but I wonder if Ft. Benning is doing this with their 2001s, as most of the ones on Main Post are gone now :?
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Los Angeles CD siren system

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:37 pm

DJ2226 wrote:So they just left them on their poles after the cold war to rot :evil:
I would have rewired them all and used them for a weather/other warning system. I can't stand it when this happens.
I know this is off topic, but I wonder if Ft. Benning is doing this with their 2001s, as most of the ones on Main Post are gone now :?
Well, it takes a lot of energy, time, and money to upkeep a system as big as LA's system. Also, I'm not sure how many times LA is faced with flood/tsunami threats, but if its not often (as in 10+ years) then there is no need. If I remember correctly, LA has over 40 500Ts, and the system is dominantly SD-10s ( I think at least 96 of them left). I wonder if San Diego had a system as well?

LukeH

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 pm

EOWS1212man wrote:Long Island Fire Alarm confirmed on Facebook, those "flattened-birdhouse sirens" are short A frame Fedelcode sirens.
They were made in the '40's and were 8 port, low tone.
not able to find said Facebook page. do you have a link?
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 am

Remingtoncountry wrote:
EOWS1212man wrote:Long Island Fire Alarm confirmed on Facebook, those "flattened-birdhouse sirens" are short A frame Fedelcode sirens.
They were made in the '40's and were 8 port, low tone.
not able to find said Facebook page. do you have a link?
Here you are.
https://www.facebook.com/longisland.firealarm?fref=ts
25, unfortunately not dead yet.
1950 Model A, 1940s Darley Champion
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Mark N wrote: Well, it takes a lot of energy, time, and money to upkeep a system as big as LA's system. Also, I'm not sure how many times LA is faced with flood/tsunami threats, but if its not often (as in 10+ years) then there is no need. If I remember correctly, LA has over 40 500Ts, and the system is dominantly SD-10s ( I think at least 96 of them left).
There is VERY little threat of a tsunami actually causing damage in LA County, other than along the immediate coastline. Although we have been calling the LA system, the "LA County" system, the network is actually solely within the City of Los Angeles. Other cities within LA County had their own sirens, and in some cases their own test plan. Many coastal cities (Huntington Beach in Orange County, Ventura County, San Luis Obispo, and others) have tsunami sirens. The only places where the City of Los Angeles touches the ocean, are Playa Del Rey, Venice Beach, Palisades Beach and San Pedro. All other coastline is incorporated as self-contained cities (from south to north; Long Beach, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, El Segundo, Santa Monica, and Malibu).

The only place I can think of, which would be at a Phuket Island-type tsunami disaster, would be Venice Beach, and inland from there through Mar Vista and Culver City. Other places along the coastline, are sharply elevated just beyond the beach, and in some cases 100 feet elevation. In Malibu for instance, you climb to 2000 feet within a mile or so from the ocean as you drive inland. Surely a tsunami warning siren network would be an excellent idea, but sadly, the County is broke, and I'm sure sirens are so low on their list of priorities that they might as well be forgotten...

Charles

FedTB

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:07 am

A few weeks ago I was watching "Emergency!", and there was a scene where Squad 51 and the Mayfair ambulance were enroute to Rampart Hospital and in the background I saw an SD-10, complete with the work platform up near the siren. Pretty cool stuff to see on an old tv show!

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 pm

FedTB wrote:A few weeks ago I was watching "Emergency!", and there was a scene where Squad 51 and the Mayfair ambulance were enroute to Rampart Hospital and in the background I saw an SD-10, complete with the work platform up near the siren. Pretty cool stuff to see on an old tv show!

And that was in the mid-70s, when they were still being tested the last Friday of the month at 10:00AM. Most all of the sirens in the central LA area are SD-10s, and the outlying areas (West LA, the San Fernando Valley, etc) are 500Ts. There are a few early Model 5s, and also a few later Model 5s which likely replaced wrecked or broken SD-10s and 500Ts. I think the one which I mentioned still in place on Corbin Ave in Chatsworth, is one of the newest. That housing development was done around 1975, and prior to that, it was all big old farms, and likely there was no siren for that area. There aren't any sirens from the old LA system in any places which were not developed until the late 70s and later.

Charles

hobbeekid

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 pm

I have the sd10 from Miramar St & Bixell St. Just Saying....

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”