pyramid head

costs to run a siren

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:47 pm

I am very interested in how much it would(or does) cost to run a siren through all it's signals once every day.(in 1 or 2 min. settings) I know it really does depend on the siren's size and motor, so post a motor size/ siren model with your answer for better understanding! :D
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Siren Man

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:17 pm

if you are talking electricity, no more than a few cents per signal. an.d that number goes up into thunderbolt size aparratus

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm

By today's sirens it would cost hardly anything. As stated before, a mere few cents. But yesterday's sirens such as T-bolts and Hurricanes, and T-135s probably run around a $5-10 bill per siren if they test daily per billing cycle. Also, if the sirens are old like those and are around nuclear plants, they have about the cheapest electric bills you'll ever find. Nuclear energy is very cheap.

Siren Man

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:29 am

Adam Pollak said it would cost about 5 cents to run a tbolt for 3 minutes.

pyramid head

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:03 am

I like what i am reading here! My "plan" is it move into a very empty forest area of PA, build a small house or pop a trailor on the property, and outline the yard in utility poles. With each siren purchase/gain i will put them on the poles. Get controls for each siren, wire everything into a single room which would be a garage or even in the basement. I would have to have everything in single phase, or have three phase also run up to the house for the other sirens. i expect thet wiring will not be cheap, and getting a company to run electricity into the boonies will also be tough. I am hoping to have a lot of woodland for heating and windbreak. Another idea was to make a generator run off a windmill or some kind of water wheel. My friend wants to live with me, so we can split the bill for the electric company running power cables to the house.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:11 am

pyramid head wrote:I like what i am reading here! My "plan" is it move into a very empty forest area of PA, build a small house or pop a trailor on the property, and outline the yard in utility poles. With each siren purchase/gain i will put them on the poles. Get controls for each siren, wire everything into a single room which would be a garage or even in the basement. I would have to have everything in single phase, or have three phase also run up to the house for the other sirens. i expect thet wiring will not be cheap, and getting a company to run electricity into the boonies will also be tough. I am hoping to have a lot of woodland for heating and windbreak. Another idea was to make a generator run off a windmill or some kind of water wheel. My friend wants to live with me, so we can split the bill for the electric company running power cables to the house.
If you plan on moving to a "empty" forest area, your best bet is using wind turbines, solar panels, and micro hydro turbines.

Robert Gift

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 pm

I photographed the electric meter on Engelwood's Allertor pole.
I wanted to get a before and after readout.
Unfortunately, when fire dispatch finally got around to pressing the button for their 2nd Wednesday 11 a.m. siren test, neither of their two Allertors in the city functioned. (They probably have the system turned off until tornado season. I hope that's the reason.)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”