Jim_Ferer

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:47 am

If nothing else, any restorer is going to give the siren a better paint job than the factory job. Since it's a labor of love for a lot of restorers, the thing is likely in zero hours condition.

Does anyone put hours meters on sirens? "Minutes meters?" Obviously there's no reason it can't be done.

kswx29

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:43 pm

High Low Boy 2 wrote:in my opion dats just to loud for a town dat size,, but still humans are strange in there thinking & reasons
Please talk english here...gez!
I think its alright...i mean residents outside of town also get warning! There are sirens here in shawnee county and in Leavenworth County in the MIDDLE of NOWHERE! but idk...

Mister_Penetrator

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:59 am

tboltboy wrote:
High Low Boy 2 wrote:in my opion dats just to loud for a town dat size,, but still humans are strange in there thinking & reasons
Please talk english here...gez!
I think its alright...i mean residents outside of town also get warning! There are sirens here in shawnee county and in Leavenworth County in the MIDDLE of NOWHERE! but idk...
I agree with you about leavenworth county.

kagome122885

Re: Look at this nice shiney new thunderbolt being put up!

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:22 am

tboltboy wrote:I found this on the Hutchinson, Kansas news website...hmmm must have got it from Siren Central?

**Update here is the article**
Partridge puts up new tornado siren

Larger siren capable of warning whole town

tornadosiren041906Westar employees lift the new Partridge tornado warning siren into place Tuesday afternoon. The 125-decibel siren will be used instead of the small siren on the side of the city's fire department building. Photo by Lindsey Bauman

By The News staff

PARTRIDGE - When a tornado was spotted near Partridge last year, a small siren on the side of the city's fire department building served as residents' only warning.

Once used to summon volunteers when there was a fire, the old siren couldn't be heard all over town, Mayor Dean Kitch said.

That prompted city officials to begin exploring installing a larger siren that would warn the whole town.

On Tuesday, city and Westar employees installed one on a pole a half-block off Main, near the center of town.

"This one you'll be able to hear," Kitch said. "It will more than reach the outer limits of the city."

The 125-decibel siren was purchased from surplus, Kitch said.

The siren and installation will cost about $2,500, he said.

"Westar is changing the transformer and so forth," Kitch said. "They're doing the work for a donation."

The siren is radio controlled, so storm spotters can activate it from wherever they are, Kitch said.

There probably will be a regular noon test of the siren once it's up, Kitch said, but the day of the week and frequency of the test haven't been determined.

"It seems like there are more warnings than there ever used to be," Kitch said. "We felt it was something we needed to do."

Also, at the new grade school is a storm shelter that is opened to the public whenever there's a warning, Kitch said.

"People can go to that if they elect to," he said.
That is such a beautiful sight, an old refurbished Thunderbolt given a second chance. There are lots of low income communities that need a good siren and is a good example why older sirens should be refurbished and not junked
Federal Signal Thunderbolt Series, still the King of Air Raid Sirens!

Justin

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:47 am

Good choice I say. Will be very fitting for the time being until the ol' girl breaks down completely or the town grows substantially.

Robert Gift

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 pm

trafficsignals4ever wrote:Finally, the Thunderbolt wins over (for once) the 2001 and T-128! :D I'm really glad that a small town like that didn't go for something "a bit newer."
I bet it was due only to price.
Sure will be more interesting if two-toned rather than single toned but more efficient 2001.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”