2001srnfan

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:38 pm

Memphis has T-135s and possibly others. I know this because, whenever there is severe weather outbreaks, I watch the Memphis weather coverage online. At the television station there is a T-135, and you can hear it during the broadcast.
Owner of Ontario Severe Weather Forecasting
http://www.scostorms.com

Daniel

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:50 pm

I wonder if the fact that Sentry sirens have an internal cooling fan makes a difference.

The town of McCloud, California, once had a Gamewell call box system connected to a gigantic Sinker-Davis two-bell steam whistle, which was removed in the 40's and replaced with air horns that are still usable and a Sterling Little Giant that was disconnected years ago. When the call boxes were removed in the 1980's, the ability to code the horn blasts went with them. Fire calls then consisted of blowing the three large horns (and one tiny one) until the air ran out, which took a couple of minutes. If I remember, they gave a nice Eb major chord.

BTW, the horizontally-opposed bells on that whistle are almost 2' in diameter. It sits on the front porch of the town museum and must weigh almost a ton. Pitch is variable with steam pressure and temperature, but it sounded a very deep perfect 4th interval.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Columbus

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:26 pm

On April 3, 1974, during a very large outbreak of tornados, a Columbus OH siren with about eight horns in a circle caught fire after its motor overheated after getting stuck and sounding for about 20 minutes. The siren was located on W. Greenwood Ave. just off N. High St. It was removed immediately. Today a new Whelen siren occupies the same spot - it is huge.

danwisbey85

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I see on a Storm Stories episode, a Federal 2001 Siren (first type made) was sounded for Tornado Warning for 26 minutes!

Dan.

Archon

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:38 am

don't forget the 2T22's that went off in some town in New York State for 40minutes They could not find the controll point when all they had to do was go to each siren and shut it off with disconect switch on the pole It is madated by code to have one on the pole. ah but like Prairie Du Sac WI the service disconect on the pole has a pad lock on it Thus when the Allertor got struck by lighting and shorted the controller out. They spent 45 minutes looking for the key to the disconect box.

Robert Gift

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:54 pm

danwisbey85 wrote:I see on a Storm Stories episode, a Federal 2001 Siren (first type made) was sounded for Tornado Warning for 26 minutes!
Dan.
Yes. I believe that 2001 has a much longer duty cycle.
One near my wife's community college, she is learning Engrish, is entirely solar powered.
I wonder what it's duty cycle is from it's storage pbatteries.

I like that it can be placed anywhere without the costs of bringning power to it. It is certainly not as loud as a Thunderbolt I recently heard for the first time.

AllSafe

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Yes. I believe that 2001 has a much longer duty cycle.
The motor has a continuous duty cycle.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

40V2T22

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Our old 2T22s messed up when a car crashed into a certain power control box and knocked down some wiring and the sirens wound up and went on and off for about 15 minutes.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”