TrainsAndSirens1
YouTube Username: TrainsAndSirens1

Refurbished Thunderbolt 1000, Alert - Great Falls, SC

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRJ-J7gqAg

Camera #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed-PqkYQ-ek

Here are 2 videos of the siren sounding off for a statewide tornado drill. It seems the siren has pitch changes. Sorry about the wind gusts heard in the 2 videos.
Info: The siren was refurbished by the technical school. I'm not sure why the siren has pitch changes. But that thing..IS LOUD! It is the LOUDEST siren I have ever heard!
Please read video #1 description for more information about the siren.
Owner of a -130, Modulator 6048, B-Series 1003,1000B, 3016, STH-10B, Little Giant, two 5As, 2, 2T, Model B9, 2 Model Ds, 4 Model As, Faraday Type 2, OC-9, 2 AR Timers, other. Skywarn Spotter.
https://youtube.com/user/TrainsAndSirens1

justie1220
YouTube Username: Justin Lynch

Re: Refurbished Thunderbolt 1000, Alert - Great Falls, SC

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 am

it has a new federal sign and signal thunderbolt sticker that's really neat. something doesn't sound quite right on the windup but i cant place my finger on whats wrong. sure hope they look into it great video :thup:
According to my signature ive been 16 years old for the past two years.Apparently i have found the Fountain of Youth :lol:

uncommonsense

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:36 am

justie1220 wrote:it has a new federal sign and signal thunderbolt sticker that's really neat. something doesn't sound quite right on the windup but i cant place my finger on whats wrong. sure hope they look into it great video :thup:
You're right. Time delay is screwed up. The rotator and blower are late. The chopper winds up with the blower off, then when the rotator comes on, so does the blower. Hence why you hear the pitch change and it sounds something akin to that "pop" when the rotator kicks in; its the blower coming on and air suddenly being forced into the chopper/horn.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:03 am

Actually that's one of those former nuke plant sirens. The RCM's were "butchered" by the plant. They have no agastats, the control circuit is all hacked up, and they take a total rewire to repair them. Same as Charlie's tbolt and my former tbolt.

On top of that, sounds like they didn't do much of a "refurb" on the mechanicals. Pitch wobbles and drops throughout the entire test.

Sirenguy02

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:59 pm

I agree with Jeb, they might of restored the paint, but in terms of mechanics, it's still sick.
~Mitchell Tsokatos
Owner of a P-10 and Model L

TrainsAndSirens1
YouTube Username: TrainsAndSirens1

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:15 pm

uncommonsense wrote:
justie1220 wrote:it has a new federal sign and signal thunderbolt sticker that's really neat. something doesn't sound quite right on the windup but i cant place my finger on whats wrong. sure hope they look into it great video :thup:
You're right. Time delay is screwed up. The rotator and blower are late. The chopper winds up with the blower off, then when the rotator comes on, so does the blower. Hence why you hear the pitch change and it sounds something akin to that "pop" when the rotator kicks in; its the blower coming on and air suddenly being forced into the chopper/horn.
If you read the video #1 description why it starts up like this, because the fire chief switches the first switch to activate the chopper motor then he switches another switch to activate the blower and the rotator. It does not have the real radio/control boxes yet.
Owner of a -130, Modulator 6048, B-Series 1003,1000B, 3016, STH-10B, Little Giant, two 5As, 2, 2T, Model B9, 2 Model Ds, 4 Model As, Faraday Type 2, OC-9, 2 AR Timers, other. Skywarn Spotter.
https://youtube.com/user/TrainsAndSirens1

justie1220
YouTube Username: Justin Lynch

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 pm

TrainsAndSirens1 wrote:
uncommonsense wrote:
If you read the video #1 description why it starts up like this, because the fire chief switches the first switch to activate the chopper motor then he switches another switch to activate the blower and the rotator. It does not have the real radio/control boxes yet.
sorry for not doing so :oops: not bad for not even having a control system though
According to my signature ive been 16 years old for the past two years.Apparently i have found the Fountain of Youth :lol:

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:27 pm

That thing is really sick...They need to take that thing apart and replace the chopper brushes and ring brushes...That was hard to listen to...
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Videos and Media”