MattDean1003

Westminster Chime from unknown siren

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:15 pm

My wife and I moved into a new place last week, and while having our internet hooked up, a faint Westminster sounded off at noon. The charter guy explained to us that it was the "lunch whistle" at Certain Teed, a large plant here in Athens, and that it sounds 7 days a week, at noon on the dot. Here is today's recording of it. Between myself and a few more of us on here, we have been unable to locate it. It's definitely a Federal chime, but from what, we do not know. The plant is a good ways away. You may have to turn your speakers up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT34V0UGxgY

Compare to this, exact same sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkm6YVNlq8
James M. Dean

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Re: Westminster Chime from unknown siren

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Wife? When did you get married? lol

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Your culprit for the westminster chimes is most definitely a Modulator 3012, but it's not at the CertainTeed plant. It's actually located at the Noramco plant just northeast of CertainTeed, mounted on a wood pole kind of on the north-central side of the facility.

(click image for full resolution)

MattDean1003

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Lol I got married this past august...enjoying it so far. 2 months in. That has to be the siren. It's over a mile away and still audible. I'd like to know if it's tested with the Athens system. I will try to snap a pic of it
James M. Dean

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:58 pm

Modulator 3012, I looked at the pic veryyy closely while zoomed in, and that is what I identify it as, although, this just proves if its THAT quiet over a mile away, then that speaker based sirens are not that good, and mechanical is still beast(although I still prefer speaker based sirens, because of all their signal variety, and I see why they used a modulator obviously, but if it is JUST for lunch, and nothing els, then I don't see why they just used a MOD 1004 :p)
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

MattDean1003

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:39 am

Per a PDF from Federal, with a 3012 having an effective range of only 2400 feet, I'd say for it to carry as far as it does, that would make it a pretty damn good siren. I'd say it's a mile and a quarter from our new place, and while not ear piercingly loud, it's still audible enough for me to know exactly what it is. Plus, it's surrounded by buildings. I've only heard very, very few sirens in my life in person, and was initially impressed by a Vortex running in wail well over 6 miles away, but a 3 cell siren that I can hear over a mile away takes the cake for me.

Sorry to ramble, tis been a long day.
James M. Dean

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:22 am

That's with Westminster Chimes. The pitch of the chimes is nice and low pitch, which is why it carries so well out into the distance. I could feel the chimes in my chest when I recorded the MOD6048 out in Opelika, AL.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”