GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Re: SD-10 three phase hookup

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:31 pm

connerdstines wrote:
GreenblottF wrote:
connerdstines wrote:
Just don't plug it into those outlets, hook it straight up directly to the main panel. Those outlets aren't rated for the kind of current draw that motor will have.
So hook up the phase converter to the breaker switch for the washing machines???
If it's rated high enough. I would want it to be rated for at least 70 amps, if it's not already rated for that you might buy one that is and put it in.
The breaker is rated for 70 amps, as the breaker powers all 4 washers and dryers. They each use a 2 horsepower motor.
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:44 am

You have to hook it up directly to your breaker panel. You can't run a 3 phase siren off of 120v with a phase convertor. No if's and's or but's. You have to have an adequately sized 240v breaker and wire to run the siren. If you have the proper sized 240v breaker and wire and are tied into your breaker box directly, you will be able to run it if you have a properly sized phase convertor and contactor. Hope this helps.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Wdr

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:09 pm

As others have said, use 240. I am certain your house has it, I do not know of anywhere in the U.S. Where 120 residential services exist at this point. Additionally I would be very hesitant to run a siren on a static converter. That type of converter only develops around 70% of the motors power. Siren motors seem to be sized right on the line and if anything a bit undersized since they arn't expected to run for long periods. If you use a static converter you have a high chance of burning out the motor. Use a rotary converter, VFD, or generator. Even with a rotary there would be risk of damage, but a lot less especially if well balanced.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Didn't an almost identical thread you started about single to three phase get locked about a week ago? That thread was about a castle something siren. It was locked for "rule violations" I guess because you were being advised on how to do something that's evidently way out of your "league" in attempting. I would never try running something like you described.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Brendan Ahern

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:04 pm

I agree with Eric on this. I believe I also told you last time that this was not something an amateur should be doing. You stated you had no knowledge of electricity. You should NOT be doing this stuff. What you are trying to do is going to draw a HUGE amount of current for one thing. Kilowatts are kilowatts, whether you step them up, convert them, whatever. You are trying to Frankenstein something. I would never try this in my own house. Way to easy for something to go horribly wrong.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:28 pm

If you do get a SD-10, I would recommend using a drill to windup the siren. Much safer and easier. Maybe instead of trying to get a SD-10 you should get a Model 2 siren. I currently have a Model 2 that I am working on right now. They're pretty fun and easy sirens to work on. Plus you can run the siren from the 120v outlet. estokke09 is selling some of his sirens. He has a Model 2-240 that is still up for grabs. https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19385
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

Wdr

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:42 pm

I was on the line about offering advice on this project, I did end up doing so but after considering it more feel I should clarify. I highly suggest you listen to the previous posts. This sort of setup can be done safely but if you don't have the knowledge of the equipment and relevant technical aspects you are very likely to damage something or your self. If you want to proceed find an electrician or someone to assist you in setting up a safe system. As I said before, any mistakes at these power levels are very hazardous and likely to damage your new siren and/or injure yourself.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”