JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 pm

I have a 50 amp breaker explode on me while running my blower unit. The breaker had sat in the weather for several months in salty air, so my guess would be that as well. BTW, what tap do you have you chopper set at?

One more thing, the siren wont (shouldn't) break any windows. Pressure waves do the damage, not actual decibels.

Robert Gift

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 pm

JasonC wrote:I have a 50 amp breaker explode on me while running my blower unit. ...One more thing, the siren wont (shouldn't) break any windows. Pressure waves do the damage, not actual decibels.
I don't know!
The resultant frequency of a 5/6 Thunderbolt is two octaves and a fourth below the lower note.
Also, when the chopper slows - if you keep the blower on, it may get to rattling things.
My 2t22 vibrated my chest as it coasted down into lower frequencies, and it had no supercharging blower maintaining full pressure.
(I plan to "supercharge" it by aiming our smoke ejector at the bottom rotor intake to see if it makes a difference.)

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:12 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:They had an AR on eBay a while ago. Probably ended just a few hours ago.

I'd get an AR timer if I were you. The TEST button I think is a momentary switch, isn't it? So you can have fun messing around with that, too.

How about you set the voltage to the highest and lowest possible, then take test vids? It would be really helpful to compare the high and low of Thunderbolts for us Tbolt buffs :wink:
(AR timer on eBay)??? How'd I miss it? :evil:

I'll try the highest tap next time... I was wondering about that too.
JasonC wrote:I have a 50 amp breaker explode on me while running my blower unit. The breaker had sat in the weather for several months in salty air, so my guess would be that as well. BTW, what tap do you have you chopper set at?

One more thing, the siren wont (shouldn't) break any windows. Pressure waves do the damage, not actual decibels.
The chopper is on tap 5, IIRC. I wasn't sure about the sound waves cracking the windows, I just remember when I was about 5, all of the windows got smashed in our livingroom (and many windows for a block away) when lightning struck a tree nearby. That was louder than the siren, and as you point out about the sound waves vs. pressure waves, it was a concussion with the thunder that time. So maybe I'll try that rotator...

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:57 pm

kx250rider wrote:(AR timer on eBay)??? How'd I miss it? :evil:
It was under something like "Timer of sirens old war style cycle used". The guy probably was not English/American. Unfortunately, I lost the link to it...

As a rant to add to the number of pages (we've added 2 in, like, 10 hours), I hate Websense. I hate it with my life. Websense is a crappy excuse for 1st Amendment violations. Anywho, I was looking to bid on an eBay auction for an AF timer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=009
I was going to hook it up to a small siren up on the roof for Duck Day (too late, it is today) which I would eventually take down afterwards and take home to use on some projects I have in mind. However, Websense, being the almighty god of the internet, stated:
"Thou shalt not participate in online auctions!"
... and I never bid on the damn timer.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Archon

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:59 am

This TB has a 4/5 port Chopper I replaced the single tone unit with the 4/5 unit

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:32 am

Excellent setup there!! Now if I can only find myself a blower...

Speaking of breakers, does anybody know what to do about a 60 amp siren on a normal 110V oulet?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:42 pm

trafficsignals4ever wrote:Speaking of breakers, does anybody know what to do about a 60 amp siren on a normal 110V oulet?
What do you mean? No electrical appliance on 120VAC is supposed to draw over 30 amps. That much power you haver to step up to 240VAC.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:29 pm

trafficsignals4ever wrote:Excellent setup there!! Now if I can only find myself a blower...

Speaking of breakers, does anybody know what to do about a 60 amp siren on a normal 110V oulet?
As JasonC says, they don't design household wiring to have that much current on a 110v circuit. But most homes have 220v service, even if there isn't a 220 outlet. If there are 3 wires coming into the house from the phone pole (or up to the meter from underground,) there's 220.

Post some more details on your situation (new topic), and I'm sure the Board will come up with ideas to help :idea:

Charles

C. Bryant

T-Bolt , Last Friday of the month.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Hay the Last Friday of the month is getting close is their a Moorpark
local newspaper that you can get some Free Public Notice in :?:
, have a
or your own Monthly Siren Test ! Better yet a public PLATFORM one
state Senator , or Congressman in Calif. I think
wants a Warning System on Cell phones and Text
messages for incidents like what happened at Virginia Tech , HOWEVER
we all dont have or care to have Cell phones , Different Technoligies
make a Cell phone Text message warning system costly to implement .

Expect some debate and TV news on this. :roll:

Therefore Siren System needs to Re-considered at least , How many
AM or AM-FM radio's do you own ? including 117 volt AC and Battery
option , Battery only or Solar operated . Here the Siren in Alert mode
click on KNX ,KFWB and other all news stations. No monthly cell phone
bill $ for this ,make local government do their part . No doubt if cell
providers see this " Text Alert Warning system "
as a major upgrade to implement- your cell phone
bill , you guessed it $$$$ .

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:58 pm

There will be a noon test this Friday! But I think I'd be a little worried about any publicity. Although I went through the ENTIRE California penal code and found nothing about false air raid warnings, I think I shouldn't rock the boat. Even if they couldn't get me in trouble criminally, this is California so they might conjure up a way to tax me on it :x

Charles

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”