Tboltguy

Whatever happened to the thunderbolt prototypes?

Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:50 am

So I’ve been wondering a lot lately, whatever happened to the old thunderbolt prototypes? The ones with the red and black stripes and oval shaped rotator boxes.

I read a couple unconfirmed things about how someone may have found part of a rotator box on an old nuclear weapons testing ground, but I’m still curious, whatever happened to them? Are there any still around? Does federal have one in their warehouse just boxed up? Is there one in some obscure museum somewhere?

I’ve decided to go on a quest to research and find what happened to these. If anyone has any info, please let me know. You can email me at [email protected], PM me, or leave a comment on this post.

Thanks in advance, Milo
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Re: Whatever happened to the thunderbolt prototypes?

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:29 pm

As far as I know, all of them got scrapped possibly during the 1950s - 1970s.
Still pop on here occasionally, but no longer post.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:14 pm

There were rumors a long time ago of parts from one allegedly surfacing at a former nuclear test site, but I do not believe anything else has surfaced to back this up.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Brendan W wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:14 pm
There were rumors a long time ago of parts from one allegedly surfacing at a former nuclear test site, but I do not believe anything else has surfaced to back this up.
Even if they are at some site, its gonna be impossible to get near, or get them at all.
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Tboltguy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Update: I've emailed Federal to see if anyone may have any information, I'm currently awaiting a reply.
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 am

Paperwork will be your friend here.

Being company property they should have asset numbers. They may even has insurance policies being demonstrators. I'm not sure if Federal has archives that stretch that far back but you never know. My mom is still in the Lowes' system and she's been dead for six years.

Look into receipts and stuff if you can. Being a demonstrator they probably have stats from testing sites. They may have been scrapped but even if they were there should be a receipt for that. That would also tell us the yard and the time.

I hope you get an answer. It's probably wherever Jimmy hoffa's hiding
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Tboltguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm
Update: I've emailed Federal to see if anyone may have any information, I'm currently awaiting a reply.
Nobody there knows anything. You'll be lucky to get a reply stating as much. Emailing them about a prototype siren that existed nearly 70 years ago is a very fruitless endeavor.

Tboltguy

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 pm

Update: they emailed me some info about the thunderbolt series, but it was just 4 PDFs of manuals for the different thunderbolt series'. I'm gonna try to find someone who worked there at that time or who might know.

uncommonsense

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 am

Tboltguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 pm
Update: they emailed me some info about the thunderbolt series, but it was just 4 PDFs of manuals for the different thunderbolt series'. I'm gonna try to find someone who worked there at that time or who might know.
I'm just going to warn you that the Thunderbolt came out nearly 70 years ago...

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:42 pm

If someone at federal who remembers the first thunderbolt still worked there they'd be nearly 90. People can point to other people. Paperwork tracks everything. That siren probably had a build receipt, an insurance policy being a demo unit, waybills tracking where it went and at least an asset tag.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”