dondaplayer

YouTube Username: KalamazooEAS
Discord: dondaplayer

Random Whelen WPS-3000 in Vicksburg, MI

Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:59 pm

I have no clue why this siren is here. It's located at 42° 7'32.01"N 85°32'34.77"W, and although it looks like it's completely active it appears that it at least hasn't rotated since 2019. I do remember this siren being active..though.

Anyways, the confusing bit about this particular siren is how in the heck did it end up in a system of 3 2001-130s? I know Vicksburg installed (atleast one of them, google earth is a bit sparse) their 130's between 2006 and 2010, but I am almost certain that this Whelen was installed around the same time.

I know they were all in use together, too, as this thing deafened a bunch of parents and children at a t-ball game I was at about 7-8 years ago. But that's besides the point. Point is, this siren exists, and I don't know why. I know no history on it. Anyone have any ideas? It does have the letter 3 nailed into the pole, and it has an FC tied into it which is how I know it's likely still active. Oh, also, it has "LA 0253" stamped into a badge on the bottom of the control cabinet. Not familiar with Whelen so I don't know if that means anything. Thanks all.

Apologies for the pictures looking very 2010. Took these using my Canon EOS Kiss X2 because it's the only thing I have with a large zoom lense.

SirensOfAustralia
YouTube Username: SirensAndTrainsDownUnder

Re: Random Whelen WPS-3000 in Vicksburg, MI

Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:34 am

Seems like there's a good change it may be active given the FC. I guess the only way to find out if it really works is recording it. Maybe setup an audio recorder hidden somewhere nearby and wait for it to go off?
A siren enthusiast down under. :)

Proud owner of a Skil Sher Wailing Joe & Alarm Master!

Notre.Dame1003

Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:46 am

Haven't posted here in a fat minute but I figured I'd chime in. This is a former Palisades Nuclear siren. When Palisades replaced their system in 2001, a lot of the old Whelens went to Kalamazoo County. Kalamazoo Township had 4, Comstock had 8ish, this one, and there were a few up by Gull Lake. All but this one and one by Gull Lake Island have been removed/replaced.
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:54 pm

Parts of Kalamazoo County also stopped testing a few years ago, I'm not sure is this was one of the affected sirens or not. The FC looks like someone was working on it semi-recently, as West Shore wraps black electrical tape around the doors on newer FCs since the seals tend to leak after a few years.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

dondaplayer

YouTube Username: KalamazooEAS
Discord: dondaplayer

Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:52 am

Wow, thanks guys! I wouldn't have ever guessed that this was an ex-nuclear siren. Makes a lot more sense with placement now. It also makes me wonder if Vicksburg even had a system previous to this 3000 and the 3 2001-130s?

Also, I do plan on going up to the one in Gull Lake to see if it also has a number nailed into the pole. Just a curiosity.

Return to “Community Systems”