coyoteunknown

Siloam Springs, Arkansas Siren Test [February, 8th 2008]

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ixJRPmjxA

Missed the wind up as I didn't know when the scheduled test days were. If today is any indication, than their testing is every second Friday of the month at 1PM. They test for 3 minutes and only use the Alert signal.

Recorded from my drive-way.

Pictures of the Siloam Springs, Arkansas sirens can be found at my DA page:
http://coyoteunknown.deviantart.com

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: Siloam Springs, Arkansas Siren Test [February, 8th 2008]

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:07 pm

Great sounding T-128's. I wish you could have gotten the wind-up, but it still sounds good. How far away is the closest one from your house?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

coyoteunknown

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:15 pm

ver tum wrote:Great sounding T-128's. I wish you could have gotten the wind-up, but it still sounds good. How far away is the closest one from your house?
The nearest one by me is the one behind Franklin Electric.

Outdated Satellite photos are fun, my place doesn't even exist yet.

ver tum

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:06 pm

coyoteunknown wrote:
ver tum wrote:Great sounding T-128's. I wish you could have gotten the wind-up, but it still sounds good. How far away is the closest one from your house?

I forgot to tell you, I'm visually impaired, so I can't see the photos. Is it less than a quarter of a mile away?
Josh
Audio
YouTube

coyoteunknown

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:57 am

ver tum wrote:
coyoteunknown wrote:

I forgot to tell you, I'm visually impaired, so I can't see the photos. Is it less than a quarter of a mile away?
It's about .985 miles away. So nearly a mile.

ver tum

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Those T-128's sure carry well. The reason I asked you how far it was from your house, was because it sounded like it may have been about a mile away, but it also sounded very loud. I wish we'd get some of those T-128's here in Louisville! I plan on calling Emergency Management tomorrow, to get a list of siren locations and models in the Louisville area, and I'll mension the T-128's.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Whelen Rules

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:31 pm

I just did some measuring on google earth and this thing is a lot closer than a mile, it is only about 3,490 feet (.65 miles) from you. I knew it was very close especially in your storm videos. I live exactly .64 mile from a Whelen Vortex and it is the same volume here as the T-128 is your vids. Good Video none the less
Tyler Lund

coyoteunknown

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:45 pm

Whelen Rules wrote:I just did some measuring on google earth and this thing is a lot closer than a mile, it is only about 3,490 feet (.65 miles) from you. I knew it was very close especially in your storm videos. I live exactly .64 mile from a Whelen Vortex and it is the same volume here as the T-128 is your vids. Good Video none the less
I used Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007 to do the measuring. The Thunderbolt 1000 beside it, with a 126dB rating at 100', extended out to .986 miles to a 70dB level. It just reaches my area. So I just went with .986 miles from here to the T-128 right beside that Thunderbolt 1000.

Edit: Measured again and it's about .92 miles.

Edit Again: Measured in Google Earth and it comes out to about .67 miles. I guess I'm not using MS&T07 correctly. *raises brow*

Whelen Rules

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Siloam Springs has some pretty great siren coverage as well. I researched the city of Siloam Springs and it has a population of 11,000 (estimated at 14,000 in 2006) and 10.6 square miles of city limits and they have 8 sirens. Tullahoma has a population of 20,000 and 22 square miles of city limits and we have 6 sirens in the city limits and another siren about 1.5 miles outside the city limits at a community college. Of course our system was installed 9 years ago, but still at that time we had a population of about 16 or 17,000. On a good day I can hear all 7 of the Whelen VortexR4 sirens when they shut off and I can hear at least 3 start up. I live about .65 miles from the nearest siren, and I can hear it clearly in the house.

Anyrate, if any of the sirens in Siloam Springs fail you have enough overlapping units to continue warning.
Tyler Lund

Return to “Videos and Media”