500AT

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:45 am

coyoteunknown wrote: Thanks for the recommendation, pup. I did some light research on that particular model and I don't think it'd be right for me. A good majority of the reviews for it on Radio Shack are negative. A lot of them saying that the unit simply fails or malfunctions within a short time frame.
I know two managers that work for Radio Shack, and they have a rather negative opinion of their weather alert radios. In the past, if a receiver was returned that did not work or was defective, they would just simply toss the radio into the dumpster, rather sending them back to the warehouse. I do not know what their current policy is, but both managers own Midland Weather Alert Radios.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

siren_face2000

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Reecom R1630

Wow! I took a look at that one, and It does something that most weather radios don't do! This model tells you when the warning, or watch is in effect!

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:29 am

coreyhudson2 wrote:anyone have a midland? i heard they are good
I had a Midland for a while, but it died about four or five years after I purchased it. I've never had that problem with any Radio Shack weather radio. I'm not sure what model I have, but the Radio Shack weather radio I have now is one of the best ones I've had. It stands up, so it doesn't take up much space, and it has an alarm clock. It does have SAME technology, and it has the loudest alarm I've ever heard in a weather radio, and it's still loud at the lowest alarm volume. You can even disable the required weekly test from sounding the alarm. I got mine on clearance early last year, so I don't think they make that model any more.

I also have a vintage analog weather radio, which has a siren for the alert. It's a black Realistic 12-157A, but I wish I had the original wood grain colored 12-157. I believe that the original 12-157 was one of the first weather alert radios ever made, and it's siren sounded different than the black 12-157A's siren. I have a recording of my mom and dad's original 12-157's siren somewhere. That radio has since mysteriously disappeared. :(

It's good to have both a SAME, and an analog weather radio. If for some reason one doesn't sound, the other one will.
Last edited by ver tum on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Corey Hudson

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:08 am

Thanks! Did you have the one with the FM radio? :D
-Corey-

ver tum

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:44 am

coreyhudson2 wrote:Thanks! Did you have the one with the FM radio? :D

Which one are you refering to? The Midland, or the Realistic/Radio Shack? The Midland had an AM/FM radio in it, but I've never owned any other weather alert radio that had one. I have owned quite a fiew AM/FM radios that had weather band on them though, but none of them had an alert. My Soney Walkman is one of these.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Corey Hudson

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:46 am

sorry :oops: . I meant the midland.
I had a Midland for a while, but it died about four or five years after I purchased it. I've never had that problem with any Radio Shack weather radio. I'm not sure what model I have, but it's one of the best ones I've had. It stands up, so it doesn't take up much space, and it has an alarm clock. It does have SAME technology, and it has the loudest alarm I've ever heard in a weather radio, and it's still loud at the lowest alarm volume. You can even disable the required weekly test from sounding the alarm. I got mine on clearance early last year, so I don't think they make that model any more.

is this all the midland,( because radioshack sells midland). Or is this the midland then a generic radioshack radio. sorry little confused. :oops:

Thanks thoug :D :D :D
-Corey-

ver tum

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 am

coreyhudson2 wrote:sorry :oops: . I meant the midland.

I bought the Midland because it had the AM/FM radio in it, along with the weather alert radio. That's the one that died on me so soon. It seemed very cheaply made. It was also an analog radio, and it was notorious for sounding false alarms, especially in the middle of the night. The dial tuner for the AM/FM radio and the volume wheel are in such bad shape, that it is virtually useless. Midland used to make some good radios, but now they're junk. The black Realistic weather radio I have came out in the late 1970's or early 1980's, and it still works great to this day.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Corey Hudson

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:01 am

thank you!
-Corey-

500AT

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:48 am

Adam Pollak wrote:Haha, Ron, that is great! I intentionally went out of my way to find a WX-100 and got one off eBay a while back cause I really liked the orange backlight.
I really liked the orange backlight feature myself on the WX-100. However, the replacement model WX-500 had a green backlight, which wasn't too bad, but could have been more well designed. All-in-all, I have always liked Uniden products very much.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”