scooterbugs25

ASC won bid for Springfield,IL

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:12 pm

quiksmith10

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:17 am

Good find there scooter. I did manage to find another article, actually giving bid specifics and the other companies that placed a bid.

http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/90095.asp

In the article it states that Springfield went with the most expensive bid, being that of Wireless USA located there in Springfield. Once they accepted the bid, ATI, who also placed a bid, came back almost grovling for their business. There is also some other really good information in the article further down. However, looks like some "siren people" are already giving their biased opinions of what sirens are good and why.
Brandon Smith

Melvin Potts

ASC vs ATI

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Interesting articles.

When the Nashville siren project was first announced, one of our TV stations showed a clip of the mayor announcing the project in one of the city parks.

An ASC T-121 was on display; it was revved up for a few seconds during the presentation.

I heard somewhere that ASC lobbied hard to get the contract for the Nashville system; however, ATI got the deal.

Rory Buszka

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:43 am

I've seen an ATI siren driver and a Whelen siren driver close up. The Whelen driver is about four times the size of the driver in the ATI siren, and much higher in build quality. With that equipment, it's no surprise that ATI would rather compete on price. But for many communities, the proof will be in the pudding.
Say NO to excessive siren testing - overtesting desensitizes the public.
Say NO to voice siren systems - multiple origins = unintelligible audio.

Melvin Potts

Reply to Rory Buszka

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Rory:

Interesting comments about ATI vs. Whelen.

I've never heard a Whelen in person; only sound clips from websites. However, I must admit that they would've been a better choice of Nashville wanted electronic sirens.

The ATI in my neighborhood is about 1/2 mile "as the crow flies" away. There have been many 1st Saturdays when I haven't heard it at all. However, sometimes when atmospheric conditions were right, I've heard it loud and clear inside the house. The tone is pathetic!

One of my Atlanta area friends lives in the south part of Cobb County(which has a mixture of Federal and Whelen sirens in its system). Joe is between a Thunderbolt and a Vortex, both of which he can hear inside his house with the windows closed.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”