kswx29

Changes made to Shawnee County siren testing policy.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:57 am

According to the newspaper, Shawnee County will now test local sirens regardless of weather conditions. Previously they only tested when the weather was perfectly sunny, with no threading weather. But with all these siren problems lately, and with all of this Severe Weather in Kansas they will now test Every Monday at Noon regardless of weather! What this means is I will be getting a bunch of siren videos this summer! This coming Monday is looking cloudy...but the test is still on!
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Alasiren1977

Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:00 am

A lot of counties are doing this now because they want to test them in every kind of weather condition to hear the sound projection in rain, wind, and other inclement weather. I think it is a good idea, but to a point. If there is a thunderstorm with ominous clouds I think they should postpone the test to another time so it doesnt confuse people.

jmev

Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:03 am

This is simple for anywhere- assign a second set of tones or another activation code for a five second test, then you don't have to worry about anyone thinking it's for real if it only runs for 5 seconds.

Some people will panic over anything.

kswx29

Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:44 am

Siren tests in Shawnee County are usually under the 3 minutes, but sometimes do last 3 minutes. The reason they want to test EVERY Monday is because we have been having some many problems with our sirens, and severe weather in Kansas has been unbelievable lately, they want to make sure the sirens WILL sound if needed. Just yesterday there was reports of a Tornado south of Topeka, sirens in Shawnee County sounded 5 times during the duration of the warning, and 3 sirens might have failed.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

red04stanggt

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:40 am

I wish johnson county would do this

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:48 pm

red04stanggt wrote:I wish johnson county would do this
Psh! I don't think I would withstand hearing 2001's all around me going off on a weekly basis. That would drive me mad. :|
--bc

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”