Federal Signal fan

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:53 pm

Rheems1 wrote:The 40V2T would be a good siren for Tornado warnings and such... in this application it would not be so good. SAVES gets around 400 calls a year so it would be going activated 400 times a year with an average of 6 cycles or so each.... the neighbors would really start complaing plus the borough of McSherrystown is only 2 miles square if that.... I do like the 40V2T though!
Me too, yeah, it would make a loud firesiren, your probably best with that 3V8H. But to be honest, I can remember every sirens name, I have to look up the name, but I know what it sounds like. I've heard a 40V2T before I knew what it was. So easier terms, I know every siren form every co. but on Sentry, I'm still memoring the names, but I know the appilcations already, and the sound.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Federal Signal fan

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Federal Signal fan wrote:
Rheems1 wrote:The 40V2T would be a good siren for Tornado warnings and such... in this application it would not be so good. SAVES gets around 400 calls a year so it would be going activated 400 times a year with an average of 6 cycles or so each.... the neighbors would really start complaing plus the borough of McSherrystown is only 2 miles square if that.... I do like the 40V2T though!
Me too, yeah, it would make a loud firesiren, your probably best with that 3V8H. But to be honest, I can remember every sirens name, I have to look up the name, but I know what it sounds like. I've heard a 40V2T before I knew what it was. So easier terms, I know every siren form every co. but on Sentry, I'm still memoring the names, but I know the appilcations already, and the sound.
But I am 13, and I did ask to get on this forum, so don't think I know every last thing about a siren. But I love the 1003s dampers, they make such a good hi-lo with the thunderbolt.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:58 am

Rheems1 wrote:The siren was purchased in 1988 and since that time has eaten it's way through many, many brushes. In talkiing with them the last time, they said it hasn't eaten any brushes in recent time and they did have the commutator reground twice which seems to have fixed it. SAVES is made up of 4 stations, at the Brushtown station they have a Model 5T, at the Conawago station they have a Sentry 3V8 that doesn't sound anymore (working on that) and at the Centenial station they have a small ACA Screamer. No matter which SAVES station is due, all of the sirens go off so it could be a nice mix of sirens.... except Conawago which again is hopefully being take care of.

Dave
I would like to hear that 5T going off for a fire call, those 9/12 beasts are some of the meanest sounding sirens ever made.

Is the Screamer a single tone or dual tone?

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:22 am

JasonC wrote:Here's another with a 16 port Sterling M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiDd2Li ... re=related

Another clip with the same siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vp_U8M ... re=related

I have no idea why, but I love the sound of those 16 port Sterlings and Sentries! That one sounds at about the same pitch as my parents' vintage weather radio's siren used to sound. Even though they have an extremely high pitch, that sound would definitely get my attention.

I like the other siren too BTW. It sounds like it's duel tone.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Modulator Master

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:34 am

holler wrote:
Rheems1 wrote:The siren was purchased in 1988 and since that time has eaten it's way through many, many brushes. In talkiing with them the last time, they said it hasn't eaten any brushes in recent time and they did have the commutator reground twice which seems to have fixed it. SAVES is made up of 4 stations, at the Brushtown station they have a Model 5T, at the Conawago station they have a Sentry 3V8 that doesn't sound anymore (working on that) and at the Centenial station they have a small ACA Screamer. No matter which SAVES station is due, all of the sirens go off so it could be a nice mix of sirens.... except Conawago which again is hopefully being take care of.

Dave
I would like to hear that 5T going off for a fire call, those 9/12 beasts are some of the meanest sounding sirens ever made.

Is the Screamer a single tone or dual tone?
If you want to hear a 5T, you should hear Boswell's their siren sounds nice.
Monitoring Cambria and Somerset Counties.
http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz13 ... n_archive/

Archon

Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:00 am

ver tum wrote:
JasonC wrote:Here's another with a 16 port Sterling M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiDd2Li ... re=related

Another clip with the same siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vp_U8M ... re=related

I have no idea why, but I love the sound of those 16 port Sterlings and Sentries!

It sounds nicer because it is a older one that has a high slip motor so it goes up slower. I bought 2 M-5's that are 16 ports models.

Archon

Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:01 am

I believe that the H in sentry models means it has Horns??

coyoteunknown

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 am

Archon wrote:I believe that the H in sentry models means it has Horns??
Not exactly sure, I've wondered about that myself as the main difference between a 3V8 and 3V8-H is that the H variation has horns. However, the 10V2T, 15V2T, 16V1T-B, and 40V2T have horns + horn extensions and don't get an H suffix.

Maybe it simply means "High Volume" since the 3V8 and 7V8 get H variations? :X They also have other variations, such as the 7V8-B.

(If anyone wants the Sentry manual for 7V8-B/16V1T-B, I'll upload it.)

Return to “Videos and Media”