CTsirenhunter

Simsbury Whelens: The Long Noon Whistle

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Ok, so I'm on a garden tour with my mom this morning, at a house that is fairly up a mountain, and all of a sudden the Whelens...umm...wail to life, one sounding like it's right next to us. My mom observes that it's noon and continues looking at the garden, while I stealthily shot this quick video, complete with my somewhat mumbled comments:

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x281 ... irens2.flv

At least I think this was a noon whistle...it happened at noon! But it was the same length as a fire call (the full six cycles) instead of one short blast.
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

Federal Signal fan

Where did your sound come from?

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:19 pm

In what direction did the sound come form, as to the fire houses direction, and the whistle's.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

CTsirenhunter

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:37 pm

That I would have to work on. I think the loudest/closest one (we have six sirens in town, one at each fire station) was in Tariffville. I'll edit this post with my answer once I find out.

EDIT: Tariffville station is about 4.3 miles from where I was, Town Center station about 2.3 miles, Firetown Rd. Station about 4.6 miles, West Simsbury station about 4.5 miles, Hopmeadow St. station about 2.5 miles, Bushy Hill Rd. station about 4.4 miles. You decide.
Last edited by CTsirenhunter on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

Rheems1

Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 am

That sure does sound like a fire call to me... you can hear at least 1 other siren sounding in this video... it could be that they set off the sirens via the county tones for this test... but I am not sure if that is the case.

Dave

Return to “Videos and Media”