zetronist

Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:40 am

Cyrun wrote:Eastport FD on Long Island use to have two model 5's next to each other on poles. I was told they would run at the same time, one in alert and the other in attack for alarms.
Eastport only has one Model 5 on their HQ. Never had two. The picture on the web was doctored up by someone using Photoshop (they copied and pasted the fake siren onto the pole stand). EFD also has a 5T on Montauk Hwy, and they used to have a Model A next to the Model 5 at their station. I'm not sure what the Model A was for-- it never sounded in the 22 years I lived here. It's been gone for about 10 years.

They never used an alert tone,either. Always attack.

John

Cyrun

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Wow!! Thank's for rectifying that. I saw the photo on the defunct LIFA site and even their forum talked about one of the unit's being donated to a FD down south.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:38 pm

Maby one if for tornados and one is for fire calls. Theres a video somewhere with a 3t22 and a model 5. 3t22 is for tornados and model 5 is for fire calls. Might be the same story with these sirens
videogamer
Matt Ullman

fedsigtbolt

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:04 pm

the rotor ts siezed up on one of them
Just because I said so Dosen't mean do it! Wait what?

fedsigtbolt

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:05 pm

At least thats what i herd from my cousin
Just because I said so Dosen't mean do it! Wait what?

Daniel

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:20 pm

holler wrote:Clinton, WI has a T-bolt and a Decot mounted on the same crossarm. The Decot is for fire calls and the T-bolt is for tornado warnings.
West Point, Nebraska, has a similar setup, with an Erick mounted just under the horn clearance of a Thunderbolt on the same pole, but in both cases, the sounds are easily distinguishable.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:44 am

I've seen a couple instances of dual sirens around here while doing virtual siren hunts at local fire stations...

Ross: Model 5 on fire station, EOWS 1212 on pole next to station
Fort Mitchell (Kentucky): STL-10 on top of fire station, 2001 in parking lot next to station
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

cauberallies

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:04 am

In my hometown of Altoona, PA, there is a large norfolk southern complex that runs just over a mile in length. Until the removal of one of the sirens last year, there were 3 sirens in this complex alone. An STL-10 at the southern end, a model 3/5/7 on a building maybe 1000 feet from the STL-10, and an STH-10 at the northern end. The STL-10 was the one removed. There are STH-10s approximately 1/4 mile from both the northern and southern ends.

Before the removal of the STL-10, you were able to see 3 sirens at once if you stood in the right spot.

Also, before the city removed the majority of the system, you couldn't go 1/4 mile in any direction without running into a siren part of the city's system. A dozen or so STH-10s, three STL-10s, about a half dozen SD-10s, and countless Model 2/3/5/7(t)s, and one Thunderbolt that was removed while I was very young, and that I never got to see.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”