Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm

That must be part of that big medical research thing on Galbraith near Cross County Highway.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

kb1hwh

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 pm

That article lists the TBolt in the picture as being on the Neil House Hotel. Can you imagine being inside that hotel when that thing went off?

Oldiesmann

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:20 pm

kb1hwh wrote:That article lists the TBolt in the picture as being on the Neil House Hotel. Can you imagine being inside that hotel when that thing went off?
It says it was on top of the William S. Merrell Company, which is a pharmaceutical research company.

I did some more searching and determined that this is the siren at the big medical research complex on Galbraith. The company is now known as Merrell Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and is located at 2110 East Galbraith, although I'm not sure how easy it is to spot the siren from the road due to the large number of buildings in that area.

Also, I found a few research things published by this company in the 50s and 60s online. Apparently they were located at 10 East Amity Road, which would mean that the portion of Galbraith east of Reading was known as Amity Road.
SMF

EL1998P71

Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Oldiesmann wrote: Merrell Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and is located at 2110 East Galbraith, .
Seen here CLICK HERE

If it is still there is another question. I haven't figured out how to find the date when this image was take.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

CinWx

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:12 am

Oldiesmann wrote:
kb1hwh wrote:That article lists the TBolt in the picture as being on the Neil House Hotel. Can you imagine being inside that hotel when that thing went off?
It says it was on top of the William S. Merrell Company, which is a pharmaceutical research company.

I did some more searching and determined that this is the siren at the big medical research complex on Galbraith. The company is now known as Merrell Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and is located at 2110 East Galbraith, although I'm not sure how easy it is to spot the siren from the road due to the large number of buildings in that area.

Also, I found a few research things published by this company in the 50s and 60s online. Apparently they were located at 10 East Amity Road, which would mean that the portion of Galbraith east of Reading was known as Amity Road.
I have a list of Hamilton County's sirens, but it's 4-5 years old. The siren type is listed as "TC4-1000" at 2110 E. Galbraith Rd. The company name on the sheet is "Patheon Pharmaceuticals, Inc." So, it might still be there.

Oldiesmann

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm

If you look at an aerial view of that location from Live Maps, you can see it if you look closely (there are a lot of buildings in that area so it's hard to tell).

According to Google, Patheon does occupy that location now, but as of 2001 (according to some hazardous waste records thing from the EPA that Google found), Merrell occupied that location (by 2003 it was Patheon). I'm not going to take the time to go digging any further to figure out what the relationship is between Merrell and Patheon - the important point here is that the siren is in that location.
SMF

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

this thunderbolt in the photo

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Hey, I know where this thunderbolt is. This is on a fire station as you can see, and it's on Marlowe Ave off Hamilton Ave, near the corner of North Bend.

BTW, it is still there.

Oldiesmann

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Yep. I heard that one many times during elementary school. Has that classic TBolt sound :)
SMF

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Do you know if it's a 1000 or a 1000T?

thunderbolt1000

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:54 pm

carexpertandy wrote:Do you know if it's a 1000 or a 1000T?
I bet its a 1000

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”