Banshee_DUDE

Sentry 7v8 in attack

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:44 am

Listen to this Sentry 7v8 in attack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-WLG2HW ... re=related
What else am I suppose to do? Read a book?

Daniel

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:07 am

I haven't seen this video for a while, but I love the echo. It is unfortunate that Sentry sirens aren't more appreciated on this board.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

zetronist

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 am

I couldn't agree more, Daniel.

Wow.... I can't believe how long they cycle that siren. I'm assuming it's a fire call. We used to blast our system 8 times, but now that's down to 4. This Sentry just keeps going like the Everready Bunny! I love it!

John

Archon

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:52 am

You can tell this is a single phase sentry by them not letting it wind all the way down and have the cap kick in they just has a short down

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am

Daniel wrote:I haven't seen this video for a while, but I love the echo. It is unfortunate that Sentry sirens aren't more appreciated on this board.

I like the sound of single tone Sentries better than duel tone ones. I usually don't like the ones with the kill-down caps, but this one sounds great!
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Daniel

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:48 pm

zetronist wrote:
Wow.... I can't believe how long they cycle that siren. I'm assuming it's a fire call. We used to blast our system 8 times, but now that's down to 4. This Sentry just keeps going like the Everready Bunny! I love it!

John
I am always surprised by the length of fire calls in some towns. Around here, the fire stations give either three short or three long blasts. In fact, Silverton's siren is now only sounded at noon, and as of this year, Mount Angel's 3T22 has been silenced altogether. As a kid, Ashland's Fedelcode Model 7 gave a one minute steady blast, while Mount Shasta's air horns sounded short-short-short-long two times. All of these fire calls took no more than a minute to sound.

Then I visited Blue Earth, Minnesota, where the sirens went on attack for about five minutes, or as a store clerk told me, until someone got to the fire station to turn them off. In Burns, Oregon, their Model 5 sounds twelve cycles of attack for fires. It seems to me that the attack signal, or anything longer than a minute or so, ought to be saved for something more serious than a fire call.

I prefer the German/Austrian standard fire call of three fifteen-second blasts with eight second pauses. It is distinctly slower than an attack signal but still alerts the volunteers and tests the system. This was what Mount Angel used until this year.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Daniel wrote:
zetronist wrote:

John
I am always surprised by the length of fire calls in some towns. Around here, the fire stations give either three short or three long blasts. In fact, Silverton's siren is now only sounded at noon, and as of this year, Mount Angel's 3T22 has been silenced altogether. As a kid, Ashland's Fedelcode Model 7 gave a one minute steady blast, while Mount Shasta's air horns sounded short-short-short-long two times. All of these fire calls took no more than a minute to sound.

Then I visited Blue Earth, Minnesota, where the sirens went on attack for about five minutes, or as a store clerk told me, until someone got to the fire station to turn them off. In Burns, Oregon, their Model 5 sounds twelve cycles of attack for fires. It seems to me that the attack signal, or anything longer than a minute or so, ought to be saved for something more serious than a fire call.
I agree. Any siren signal over a minute for fire calls is unnecessary. Around here, Adsig replaced all of the controllers for the county and all the sirens do a 3-minute attack signal for fire/EMS calls which is way to long. Back in the old days though, it was common for a siren to go off until a fire department member was able to shut the siren off.

Fireman61341

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 am

We sound ours in 5 cycles of attack, doesn't last much more than a minute. They used to sound it around the clock until the early 80's when they changed it to 6am-11pm.

CTsirenhunter

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:30 am

We do six cycles, although sometimes the six different sirens are slightly out of sync.
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

E712

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 pm

CTsirenhunter wrote:We do six cycles, although sometimes the six different sirens are slightly out of sync.
Yea are SD-10 is set to do six cycles of attack and is not shut off during the night time.

Return to “Videos and Media”