ermaff6231

whelen 295 hfs dual tone video

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:45 am

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/ ... IM0280.flv i took this video at the new jersey state fire mens convention let me know what you think :D

zetronist

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:54 pm

There is a Whelen dual tone siren on one of the ambulances in the district I work in as a paramedic in Eastern Long Island, NY. They just got it a few months ago.

While it's not a mechanical siren, I have been impressed with the street clearing ability that it affords. I believe the lower pitch of the "mechanical" sound catches the ears of the drivers moreso than the regular electronic sounds. Using them together covers all bases.

While I wish they went with a real mechanical, like the Timberwolf, the electronic models have their place. I realize electronics produce a different sine wave than a mechanical siren, however you can't say they don't work well, because they do. I think Whelen is on to something.

John

Jim_Ferer

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Of course the big issue with mechanical sirens is their drain on the electrical system, and their mounting issues. I worked on a Cadillac ambulance once (yes, folks, I'm older than dirt; some of our patients were Cro-Magnons) and the headlights dimmed each time the Dietz mechanical siren kicked off.

zetronist

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote: I worked on a Cadillac ambulance once (yes, folks, I'm older than dirt; some of our patients were Cro-Magnons) and the headlights dimmed each time the Dietz mechanical siren kicked off.
Me too! We had a Federal Q2B on one of our ambulances back in the mid 70's (all caddies) in Cherry Hill, NJ. The driver used to shout back to us, "do what you gotta do... I'm going to hit the siren" and then the lights in the patient compartment in the back of the rig would almost go out as the siren screamed!

Here's a picture of me (when I was much younger, thinner and had hair) standing in front of two of our rigs:

q2bman

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 pm

The dual tone siren are great for attention getting. They combine the distance warning of wail and the close intersection warning of yelp at the same time! You also get that harmonic noise in your ear that is great for grabbing attention. Coupled with a Q siren, you cold move anything. The Q is great for penetrateing vehicle with its production of the sawtooth wave instead of a sinewave. Also the intense db output.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”