kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Pure Excitement RIGHT IN MY FACE!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:43 am

I really lucked out today... I went to the Fort MacArthur Military Museum at Point Firmin (Los Angeles Harbor/San Pedro) this afternoon. My curiosity was up after being told that they had sirens "sitting around". The museum is a treasure trove of all kinds of neat things! They have preserved the fort; which is rich in California defense history, and I have never been to any place like it. Strongly recommended! Here's their website:

http://www.ftmac.org/

The Fort MacArthur Museum is owned and operated by the City of Los Angeles, and is open weekends and limited hours weekdays. They have a great collection of vintage military communications and radio equipment too.

Now for the best part: We got there a bit late; about 30 minutes before closing time. But I happened to catch Joe, the head person. After chatting for a minute, and showing genuine interest, he invited us behind the scenes after the museum closed! I got a private tour of two of the restoration shops!!!!! What a privilege! Dad took the top photo of my expression (from the back) when I stepped in the door and looked up :P :P :P The sirens shown on the pallets are fully restored and waiting for a place to display. They don't want to put them outside because they would look like the SD10 in the bottom photo pretty quickly in that corrosive ocean air.

Here is an unrestored (VERY VERY VERY unrestored) SD10 out front of the battery at the museum:

Joe and I discussed the prospect of getting hold of, and restoring, a Chrysler. Turns out he and I were #1 and #2 bidders on the eBay one earlier this year 8) Maybe someday....

BOTTOM LINE: I encourage anyone here with a true interest in this stuff to go there. Be nice to Joe, and you might get in the back rooms!

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

cdvtripleseven

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:01 am

That's cool that they took the time to clean those
old dogs up and repaint them. At least someone there
has an appreciation for the things. Looks like they
did a really nice job on the sheetmetal. Wonder what
happened to the pieces that cover the siren on the SD-10.
With good paint on them it would take years for them
to start getting nasty again. Surely they would
display them in a way they could be easily cleaned and
the paint kept in good shape.
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:11 pm

I remember on the very first ones,they didnt have a metal piece
that covered the siren. it looked just like that. I thought i saw
it in an ad.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”