Daniel

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:35 am

This sounds ridiculous, but one could take several air horns, point them straight downward, and fit them with little rotating baffles like a Thunderbeam. By synchronizing the rotation like some light bars do, one could create various harmonic effects.

Old Buell ads that I have seen show straight horns about four feet long, but are identical in terms of the brackets and the central diaphragm serving two horns at once. Perhaps wind loading or clearance issues forced Buell to curve the horns. It is the length that counts, not the curvature. It is common to bend the tops of tall organ pipes to accommodate chambers with a low ceiling, so I'm sure that the tonal variations between straight and curved horns is negligable. I sure would like to hear them, though.

Daniel

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:37 am

This sounds ridiculous, but one could take several air horns, point them straight downward, and fit them with little rotating baffles like a Thunderbeam. By synchronizing the rotation like some light bars do, one could create various harmonic effects.
robert gift wrote: Likewise, you could cut off the bells of tubas/Sousaphones without detriment.
You can do it with a trombone too, but that would make it a sackbut, and we couldn't have that.

Old Buell ads that I have seen show straight horns about four feet long, but are identical in terms of the brackets and the central diaphragm serving two horns at once. Perhaps wind loading or clearance issues forced Buell to curve the horns. It is the length that counts, not the curvature. It is common to bend the tops of tall organ pipes to accommodate chambers with a low ceiling, so I'm sure that the tonal variations between straight and curved horns is negligable. I sure would like to hear them, though.

Jim_Ferer

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:19 am

Those "ancient Buell horns" are works of art. If they're ever taken down they should be polished up and set up somewhere like a statue. They're beautiful!

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:56 am

Daniel wrote: This sounds ridiculous, but one could take several air horns, point them straight downward, and fit them with little rotating baffles like a Thunderbeam. By synchronizing the rotation like some light bars do, one could create various harmonic effects.
I understand your good Thunderbeam analogy, but how does that create such effects?
Daniel wrote:Old Buell ads that I have seen show straight horns about four feet long, but are identical in terms of the brackets and the central diaphragm serving two horns at once.

I thoughthat is what I saw! How does one diaphragm feed two horns?
Daniel wrote:Perhaps wind loading or clearance issues forced Buell to curve the horns. It is the length that counts, not the curvature. It is common to bend the tops of tall organ pipes to accommodate chambers with a low ceiling,
They miter pipes, not bend them that I know of. (In an "organ transplant" I mitered some pipes to fithem in a new location. Had to be very careful noto melthe pipes which are "solder" (60% lead/40% tin). (Robert Schuller's Crystal Cathedral bought a large organ from a defunct Christian Science church and plans to straighten many mitered pipes.)
Daniel wrote:so I'm sure that the tonal variations between straight and curved horns is negligable. I sure would like to hear them, though.
Their finish looksimilar to my E-flat Sousaphones.

Mister_Penetrator

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:18 pm

Daniel wrote:I believe that they are Model D sirens, because the Model A has a straight, conical intake horn and a smaller rotor. This three-siren arrangement was sold for use in very small towns.

Here's an example of multidirectional horns from Mt. Shasta, California. These are the horns I remember hearing through much of my childhood. After 1992, when the coding mechanism was removed, they were abandoned. Now, the two large horns will sound on rare occasion, but the small ones are not connected. I believe that what is wrapped around the horns is heating cable, due to their very cold and snowy winters.

In reference of the bottom photo :shock: :? "Now that is the worst design ever, that thing is definitely a siren." ( J's MIB quote: "Now that is the worst disguise ever. That guy is definitely an alien."
Here's another one -- ancient Buell(?) horns in Amity, Oregon, which are disconnected but can be used if their Model 2 dies.

q2bman

Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Great idea Daniel. That would work fine. The db output may suffer a bit but this idea will never happen anyway! :lol:
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”